A lookup file (external file) is a text file that can be used in a data entry or batch application from which you retrieve data to display on a form or to use in a calculation. It requires a CSPro data dictionary. Possibilities include:
• Geographic codes and names. Your application could show the name corresponding to the code the user keyed.
• Industry and occupation codes. Your application could ensure the user keys a valid code.
• Last year's data. Your application could look up a corresponding field from last year's data and calculate a percentage change.
• Generalized menu choices. Your application could read a lookup file and show the contents on the screen as a menu, then convert the user's choice to a code.
To use a lookup file (external file) in your application, do the following:
• Create the lookup file and its data dictionary
• Close the lookup file's data dictionary
• Create a data entry or batch edit application with a standard forms file and data dictionary.
• Insert the lookup file's data dictionary into the application.
Note: The CSPro examples include an application that demonstrates the use of a lookup file. This is normally installed in a subfolder of the Documents folder, "CSPro\Examples 7.5."