The application deployment tool is used to package and upload CSPro applications to a server for deployment over the Internet to mobile devices.
When deploying an application to multiple mobile devices it may be easier to install the application over the Internet rather than by connecting each device to a computer using a USB cable to copy the application files to the mobile device. The application deployment tool facilitates this by creating and uploading application deployment packages to a server. Once the package is on the server, users of CSEntry on a mobile device can download and install the package by choosing Add Application on the mobile device. It is not possible to deploy applications to for use with CSPro Desktop. Deployment is only supported on mobile devices.
The application deployment tool does the following:
- Publishes data entry applications to .pen files for use on mobile
- Packages application files (.pen and .pff), and optionally other files, into single file for deployment
- Creates a package.json file, which is used to facilitate updates, so that only files that have been modified since the last sync (using the syncapp function or Update Installed Applications) will be downloaded
- Uploads the deployment package file to a server where it can be easily downloaded to mobile devices
- Uploads data dictionaries to the server to use for data synchronization
To use Deploy Application, go to the Tools menu and select Deploy Application or choose Publish and Deploy from the File menu. Enter a name and description for your package, drag and drop your application files/folders onto the files tree to add them to the deployment package, choose the server to deploy to and click Deploy.
This guide contains the following information: