Program stops working on data entry

Discussions about CSEntry
gonzalop

Program stops working on data entry

Post by gonzalop »

I am learning how to use CSPRO for my project, since I have paper questionnaires. This is my first experience with the program. I completed the dictionary, forms, skips and values of my first questionnaire. The problem is that every time I try to enter data by clicking on the traffic light symbol, after the 7th variable the program stops working and closes. Does anyone know why this could be happening? It is also the first variable where I use the “Dropdown” type of box (so the value options appear when entering data). Could it be that my questionnaire has to many variables or that I am using to many “dropdown” boxes?
Any ideas will be most welcome!
Thanks!
kakinyim

Re: Program stops working on data entry

Post by kakinyim »

Gonzalop,
Will you mind sharing the program here? Maybe someone will find the bug.

Mutua
KASTELIC

Post by KASTELIC »

Dear Gonzalop,

I doubt that the number of questions in your application or the number of drop downs has anything to do with your issue. I have experience something similar in the past. It was back when I first started with CSPro and was a little creative, to put it mildly, with my development technique. I can't recall what exactly caused the issue at this point but I do remember what I learned from it. Mainly, make frequent archives of your applications through the development process and test frequently. This way if you do something that breaks the program, and you just can't figure it out or don't want to spend the time, you can go back to a version that was working and move forward. With the applications I develop now I sometimes save up to 10 versions in a day; depending on how experimental I am being with my CSPro design and how heartbroken I would be if I lost my work.

This advice doesn't necessary help you in your situation now but may save you some frustration down the line. As for your specific issue now, I think some trouble shooting is an order. The goal is to try to isolate where and what is causing the issue. Is it the dictionary (unlikely unless you where developing it in a text editor), the form file or the logic. I usually suspect something in the logic first. To see if the logic is the problem simply disengage all your logic in the application. You can do this by surrounding all or part of the logic with { }. Run your application and if it doesn't stall, something is wrong with your logic. If without the logic everything works fine then start adding logic back in until it doesn't work. Then you know where the logic problem is located.

If without the logic your application is still failing, I would next look to the form as the potential issue. The form files follow a very unforgiving order. That is that the coding that makes up the form files that you see is particular and sometimes things get mixed up there. I seem to recall a time I accidentally corrupted a form file by trying to move some roster variables from one form to another via a copy and paste, of something like that. Point is that if you are in this situation you may want to start deleting questions off the form or whole forms until it seems to run smoothly.

Once you can identify what is causing the error, you can return to your full version and correct just the part that appears to be the issue. This way you don't have to redo too much work.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Jon's advice is good for troubleshooting what might be the problem.

There are definitely bugs in the CSEntry program itself, but usually people's problems come about due to errors in their logic. For example, they might have set a field to protected but then didn't assign a value to it before the field was reached. CSEntry will close in that case.

If you don't mind sharing your application, send it to me and I may be able to tell you what the problem is: csprousers@gmail.com