Android version - sizing CAPI window to fit text

Discussions about CSEntry
Keith Tomlin

Android version - sizing CAPI window to fit text

Post by Keith Tomlin »

Hi - I'm trialling the Android version on a Samsung tablet with 7" screen, and am using the CAPI option. One of my CAPI questions is 7 lines long and the CAPI window resizes to fit this just fine. But other, shorter questions have a large empty space beneath the text in the CAPI window (sometimes 4 lines deep), so that the CAPI window is larger than it needs to be (I've checked that I haven't left blank carriage returns under the CAPI text). This pushes the related radio button/check box options further down the screen, so that in some cases the lower options aren't visible without scrolling (and having to scroll can unfortunately affect data accuracy). Is there an option for resizing the CAPI window so that it fits snugly around the text within it, and so maximises the amount of space for radio buttons & check boxes?

Apart from this, I think the Android screens are looking great.

All the best

Keith
Gregory Martin

Re: Android version - sizing CAPI window to fit text

Post by Gregory Martin »

Are you using the most recent beta (from August)? I know that one of my colleagues made some alterations to the height of the CAPI text window, but I think that this happened a couple months ago. Does this happen on the most recent beta? If so, we'll probably want to play with the code a bit more to make things look better.
Keith Tomlin

Post by Keith Tomlin »

Hi Greg - the latest download I have on the tablet is CSEntryDroid_20140801.apk, which I think is the latest one.

Thanks

Keith
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Keith,

Can you post an example of question text that has many blank lines showing under it? We can test it on a 7" tablet and see why we're incorrectly calculating the height of that question text window.
Keith Tomlin

Post by Keith Tomlin »

Hi Greg - yes, I can do that, although I'm afraid I don't know how to do a screen-grab from the Android tablet and save it as a file to upload (sorry!) Could you advise on how to do this?

Thanks

Keith
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

I mean can you actually send me the CAPI text. Copy the text (in the CSPro designer) from the question that doesn't display correctly and post it here, or email it to gregory.martin@census.gov. I'll create an application with that text to test it myself.

Just so you know, on most Android devices, you take a screenshot by simultaneously pressing the power and the down volume buttons.
Keith Tomlin

Post by Keith Tomlin »

Hi Greg

My apologies, I think this problem may in fact have been due to me have a carriage return after the CAPI text for some questions. When I remove this the CAPI window does shrink to fit more closely around the text.

Keith