Using more than one dictionary in a form

Discussions about CSEntry
Keith Tomlin

Using more than one dictionary in a form

Post by Keith Tomlin »

Hi

I have a dictionary which contains items for regions, zones, woredas and kebeles (administrative areas in Ethiopia). It is hierarchical, so kebeles are within woredas, which are within zones, which are within regions. In the application I use logic (setvalueset) and combo boxes so that on a form selecting a region only displays the zones within it, etc.

I'd like to use the dictionary in more than one application, so that any updates to the value sets (which are quite long) are only made in one place. I've added the dictionary as an external dictionary to a second application, but when I try to add the items to a form I get a message saying that a form file cannot use more than one dictionary.

Is there any way around this? I'm not sure how I can use multiple dictionaries in an application if a form can only accept items from one dictionary.

Many thanks

Keith
Gregory Martin

Re: Using more than one dictionary in a form

Post by Gregory Martin »

Right now this is a limitation with CSPro. Items on a form can only come from a single dictionary. I can see why it might be nice to be able to mix and match items from different dictionaries, including working storage dictionaries, so that could be a feature in the future.

Your best option now, however, may be to put the geocode selection on an external form. You can reuse this external form/dictionary across various applications. After entering the data on the external form, you can copy the selected values to the main dictionary. In other words, you would have two region fields, two ward fields, etc. One would be in the main dictionary, where the data would be saved, and the other would be on the external form/dictionary, where the data would actually be entered.

Let me know if you have questions about this approach.