Encrypting data on Android devices

Discussions about CSEntry
Keith Tomlin

Encrypting data on Android devices

Post by Keith Tomlin »

This isn't directly a CSPro question, but it is an Android question - does anyone have experience of using software to encrypt data on an Android device? I know that a PIN number can be used to restrict access to the device, but I imagine this can be bypassed (i.e. by removing the media which stores data and placing it in a different machine) and so I'd like to find a method of data encryption for Android devices.

Many thanks in advance for any help/recommendations.

Keith
Gregory Martin

Re: Encrypting data on Android devices

Post by Gregory Martin »

You may be able to do this directly from your device. See here:

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to- ... ce-326700/
Some devices with external storage (e.g., Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4) allow encrypting the data on the external SD card.

Usually, you can choose which files from your external SD card to encrypt. You can encrypt the entire external storage, or include/exclude multimedia files, or encrypt only new files (without encrypting the existing ones). So, in a sense, you have several encryption options for your SD card data.

The encrypted data on your external SD card won’t be accessible if you use the SD card on another Android device that wasn’t used for encrypting the SD card. Some devices will even report the encrypted SD card as either blank or having an unsupported file system.