copy-pasting dictionary from Excel to CSPro

Discussions about CSEntry
bernices

copy-pasting dictionary from Excel to CSPro

Post by bernices »

I read that it is possible to create your dictionary (including value sets) in Excel and copy-paste it into CSPro using the dictionary macros:

http://www.ssb.no/a/english/publikasjon ... 219_en.pdf
To Copy from Excel to CSPro: First make sure the data in the spreadsheet is on the correct form, then
highlight the area, copy it to the clipboard, and select “Paste all Names/Labels” or “Paste all value Sets”
according to what you have been working on in Excel.

However, while I am certain that I have followed the correct format, when I copy-paste names/labels from Excel to CSPro, the process copies only until the first item. Any ideas?
Gregory Martin

Re: copy-pasting dictionary from Excel to CSPro

Post by Gregory Martin »

When you paste it in you have to be careful to follow the format that exists when the value sets are copied to the clipboard. For instance, each value set much only be separated by one row in the Excel file for them to be copied over properly. I suggest that you copy them to the clipboard and paste them into Excel, and then observe the proper formatting, which you can apply to whatever changes you have made in Excel.
bernices

Post by bernices »

Yes, I did exactly that before I began -- copy-pasted from CSPro to Excel, so I would have something to copy. As far as I can tell, I've followed the format correctly, including spacing, except for capitalization. Does it matter if my level/record/item names are not capitalized?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

It doesn't matter if your variables are capitalized. If you are copying the Names/Labels to Excel, remember that you can't insert or delete variables within Excel. The number of variables that you paste back in must match exactly the number that are in your dictionary.
hadnafeesn

Post by hadnafeesn »

lad that it worked for you. Have a nice weekend.