Csentry run slowly

Discussions about CSEntry
htuser

Csentry run slowly

Post by htuser »

Dear Gregory,
I'm setting up a form for the processing of a very complex survey with more than 6 rosters (matrices/tables), including 4 who have respectively 74 rows and 1000 colums, 40 rows and 1000colums, 35 rows and 500 colums, 30rows and 300 colums. And i'm using a powerful Dell workstation for data entry (3.5Ghz, 6cores/12 threads, 24GB DDR3 + 2GB graphical memory). Despite all, the Csentry run slowly and often, doesn't respond. Can you help me please?Maybe in the registry of Csentry for allowing/increase it's memory or processor use...
In another way, the all caps entry options doesn't run on my window 7 ultimate despite using Upper case for each item...
Thanks for your help.
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Gregory Martin

Re: Csentry run slowly

Post by Gregory Martin »

The upper case issue has been fixed. The new beta version fixes it. See here: http://www.csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=516

The way that CSEntry stores data is not as efficient as a system like MySQL, so you will have performance issues when you're talking about as much as data as you are. Are you artificially inflating the size of your rosters to meet a worst case scenario, or are the sizes practical? How is any data entry operator entering 74x1000 + 40x1000 + 35x500 + 30x300 = 140,500 fields?
htuser

Post by htuser »

This is for a census project. A quite complex census. We must collect and realize data entry of GPS coordinates, geotagged photo with multiples others technical's parameters for each sections, channels type, infrastructures of irrigation's systems in a whole country...

On the ground, there's more complexes realities as we can imagine...

I implemented a electronic questionnaire for each irrigation system. So that, a form is implemented for collect data's from multiple paper questionnaire of a determined irrigation system.

Initially, the size of roster was 200 rows, but i had to increase the size to 500 and finally 1000 in order to avoid to reformat data's all the times... in the event of a "worst case scenario"..

As you'll port some code's base in Java under the Csentry's android project (http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... =java#p551), i hope you'll make the Csentry more efficient...as MySQL.
Regards,
htuser

Post by htuser »

I already write about the problem with Csentry slow running when using it in complexes census/surveys (http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=560)
As you know, now, surveys/census are became more complicated and accurate because they uses spatial data as geographic coordinates and geotagged photo. In the last form and Ms Word questionnaires that i send to you, we use a small item (field) ; GPS code instead of Longitude and Latitude and Altitude, to store geographic infos. In spit of all, the Csentry was very very slow. But, when we use a Tablet PC, we're obliged to read the coordinates in three item(fields) : X, Y, Z... That's increase the number of item (fields) and doing the Csentry run more and more slow.
We hope that in the next Android version, you'll do a more efficient Csentry.

Another, do you think that the first release of the Android friendly Csentry will be ready in the next 3 months?
Thanks for all,
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Unfortunately, the Android version will not be ready in the next three months. If you are planning for CAPI data collection using CSPro in the next half year, I would not plan on purchasing Android devices. There will hopefully be a version for Android to test (as a beta version) towards the end of 2013, but it is not clear when a well-tested version will be released publically.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Thanks for answers and your help.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Dear Gregory,
I would like to know if there's no solution for the slowly run of Csentry.
As sent to you in the beginning of the year, i'm using Cspro for the processing of a very complexes surveys...
Can i expect to fix this problem in the next release (5.03)?
Sincerely yours and thanks for all your help.
HTUSER
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

The changes made in 5.0.3 are pretty minor, so none will dramatically change the speed at which CSEntry runs. As I recall, CSEntry was slow for you in part because you had huge rosters with very large numbers of rows. Are there ways that you might be able to change the design of your application to eliminate the need for such large rosters?
htuser

Post by htuser »

Dear Gregory,
Surely there's others ways for minimizing the rosters size, however, the methods that i use is, according to me, the most optimized for easily data entry and data management.
If you think there's a more efficient way, your help is welcome as, usual. And, i'm waiting for it.
Thanks in advance.

You already have word questionnaires and the application.

I think there's more complicated surveys/census who require more size, because, now, census/surveys require photos, geographic coordinates for most variables.

I think this is very important to improve the data storage efficiency of Csentry for challenging the most sophisticated data entries using tablet.

Thanks for all your help.
HTUSER
htuser

Csentry run slowly/form disappears

Post by htuser »

Dear Gregory,
I hope that improvements would be realized for Csentry for Windows as mentionned previously in this post ( http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... =java#p551 ). In fact when i use 2GB RAM Windows 8 tablet, surveyors have the close Csentry all the time because the form disappears at the screen and label, case are confuse. I think the problem is the technology using for displayed form...html derived technologies would be more convenient for display the forms.
Sincerely yours,