JeffCid

Yes and No responses for Value set items

Post by JeffCid »

I have an item, Facilities under which the items below are value set items
1 Toilet
2 Bath
3 Kitchen
4 Verandah

The question asks for respondents to indicate whether any of these are present by giving a Yes or No response. The appropriate way will be having check boxes with yes or no options where the enumerator can tick. An example of the preferrred layout will be like this
1 Toilet Yes No
2 Bath Yes No
3 Kitchen Yes No
4 Verandah Yes No

Is there anyway this can be acheived in a CAPI application?
sherrell

Re: Yes and No responses for Value set items

Post by sherrell »

Create a valueset for each variable that has Yes/No (presumably associated with 1/2).

If you do this before you've dragged the item out to a form/created the form with these items, then once they are brought out, the default capture type will be radio button (what you want).

If you create the value set(s) after you've dragged the item(s) out to the form, then you'll need to right-click on the entry box and change the capture type to "Radio button". You can use the mouse to select all the boxes for these similar items and change the properties enmass, you don't have to do it one-by-one.

Sherrell
JeffCid

Post by JeffCid »

1. I may not have understood you properly.
I've attached an image file of how i would have preffered the options to be present on the CAPI screen. Preferrably on the same screen as shown in the picture so that the enumerator will just tick the applicable options.

2. Also in an earlier section, there is the possibly of either of the enumerator entering one of these options above as follow up question. The capture type in that section is alphanumeric so the enumerator may just type "toilet, "bathroom", etc. Is there any way that particular reponse or field can be linked to this section so that it will be automatically ticked as "Yes" if it was identified earlier?
Attachments
Example.PNG
Example.PNG (3.26 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
joshua.deguito

Post by joshua.deguito »

Hi JeffCid,

I think this is the closes thing you can do with your situation.
If the Facility is present in the structure, the enumerator will put check and if it is not then blank.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.36 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
I attached the program here.
structure.zip
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
JeffCid

Post by JeffCid »

Thanks a lot for your response. I tried replicating same but I cant add the 4th subitem due to starting position error. I am adding a zip file so you take a look for me. Also I cant seem to understand why you added the logic since I am not linking it to the previous question.
I did try to remove Number of rooms and additional comments but still the starting position 104 seems to be marked for only items and cant be used as a sub item.

While you are it, kindly take a look at the logic in EPA_CODE. I cant get the second part of the statement to work. I want the mininum acceptable character length to be 14 BUT if the enumerator enters "None", it should be accpeted. Apart from None, every other entry in that field should be equal to or more than 14.
Pardon me, I am a newbie hence the many questions.
Thanks
Attachments
Test file1.zip
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
joshua.deguito

Post by joshua.deguito »

JeffCid wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:46 am Thanks a lot for your response. I tried replicating same but I cant add the 4th subitem due to starting position error. I am adding a zip file so you take a look for me. Also I cant seem to understand why you added the logic since I am not linking it to the previous question.
I did try to remove Number of rooms and additional comments but still the starting position 104 seems to be marked for only items and cant be used as a sub item.
The starting positions of subitems must be on or after the preceding item. In your case, change first the length of the Item (FACILITIES) to 4. This will allow 4 characters in your checkbox. Then you can insert your 4th subitem, Starting position will be after your 3th subitem, in your case 104, and item type to subitem.
JeffCid wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:46 am While you are it, kindly take a look at the logic in EPA_CODE. I cant get the second part of the statement to work. I want the mininum acceptable character length to be 14 BUT if the enumerator enters "None", it should be accpeted. Apart from None, every other entry in that field should be equal to or more than 14.
Pardon me, I am a newbie hence the many questions.
Thanks
Just change the position of your logic like this.

Code: Select all

if $ = "None" then  // if the respondent answered None or Refused
		//continue...

elseif length(strip($)) < 14 then	// the string length is truncated
		errmsg("Please refer to the format above");
		reenter;
	endif;
JeffCid

Post by JeffCid »

I'm grateful Senior. Thanks a lot