Requirements for Running CAPI Data Entry on Windows Laptop

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
nanayaa

Requirements for Running CAPI Data Entry on Windows Laptop

Post by nanayaa »

Hi CSPro Users,
I would like to know what I need to do before I can use Windows Laptop to run CAPI application? For instance, do I need to download and install additional software?

What does the CSEntry.exe that comes with CSPro offer when it comes to CAPI applications on laptops?

Finally, I would be grateful if you could recommend a safe source to download the required software (if necessary)

Yaw
sherrell

Re: Requirements for Running CAPI Data Entry on Windows Laptop

Post by sherrell »

Hi Yaw,

If you're running CSPro on a PC or laptop, then you'd download the full-blown version. CSEntry is for Android devices only, and it is only used to run a CSPro application--there is no development environment as there is with CSPro itself.

No special/extra s/w needed to run CSPro.

Sherrell
nanayaa

Post by nanayaa »

Dear Sherrell,
Thank you for your response. Now, my follow-up questions are:
A) Those going to the field are going to use the CAPI Data Entry Application on the field (No Paper Questionnaire) and I expect the data to be synced to Dropbox so how do I set the CAPI app on the individual laptops?

B) Should the individual laptops have just CSEntry with Android emulator or they should rather have the full-blown CSPro program?

C) Are the .PEN and .PFF files needed or they are only required for Android devices?

Yaw
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Yaw,

Load your application on your PC within CSPro. Choose File > Publish & Deploy, which will launch the CSPro Deploy Tool:

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSDeplo ... yment.html

There you choose what files you need (be sure to include any lookup/external files you're using), and you setup the dropbox login.

You should install CSEntry on all devices being used by the enumerators. You then have to launch CSEntry, and in the upper right corner click on the triple dots (the kebab menu), and choose Add Application. You then choose where the app is (dropbox), and enter the necessary credentials. You'll only have to enter the credentials once, so any updates needed later will retrieve the stored login info (unless you explicitly clear it, by choosing "Settings > Clear Credentials" from the kebab menu).

You should never install the development files on an enumerator's device, unless you plan on debugging in the field on selected devices. Therefore, you just need the .PEN and .PFF files.

Sherrell
nanayaa

Post by nanayaa »

Hi Sherrell,
I am okay with the smartphones and the tablets. The main issue I have is how to get the published application on the individual laptops. For instance, I have 3 enumerators (A, B & C) and they are all using Windows laptops not smartphone or tablet.

After publishing the app, how do I get it onto their Windows laptops since the CSEntry on their laptops do not have the Add Application command? At least I cannot see that on my laptop.

Yaw
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Yaw,

Sorry, I missed the PC part. For that you use one of the last 2 options in the deploy--which I see our page on this isn't very clear--in fact, it totally fails to explain the purpose of the local & zip file deploy options:

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSDeplo ... erver.html

So basically, choose the last option, the zip file, and just copy the zip file to whatever PCs you're using. Unzip the files into your desired folder. Run the .pff if you created it, otherwise run the .pen; the 4th option generates the same files, it just doesn't zip them.

Sherrell
nanayaa

Post by nanayaa »

Dear Sherrell,
Thank you very much for your support. Got it now, tried it and it is working. I am now able to enter data either on a PC or Mobile phone and they all sync to my dropbox.

Once again, thank you Sherrell.
Yaw
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Great, glad to hear it Yaw.