What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
htuser

Main Dictionary: Writecase and Sync in logic

Post by htuser »

Dear CSPro Developer Team,
We would like to have a way to :
a) WriteCase to the main dictionary from advanced HTML form. Right, now, Writecase accept only external dictionary. This is understandable because this function was implemented when the Javascript-CSPro interface was not in mind. While it's possible to use insert into trough sqlquery, by opposite to writecase, the latest doesn't manage case revisions.

b) Sync silently any apps inside his own logic. Right now, it's possible to sync manually inside any apps. But, no way to call the function/method behind the sync button in logic. And when we try to sync an app inside his logic, it always display errors, required external dictionary.

Thanks in advance for considering my suggestions.
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
sherrell

Re: Main Dictionary: Writecase and Sync in logic

Post by sherrell »

synching: attempting to sync an actively-in-use datafile could cause all sorts of potential problems/issues/concerns. Therefore, there are no plans to change that behavior.

writecase: concerns noted, but likewise, no plans to allow this. Some of the same issues would arise as when attempting to sync the main datafile.

Sherrell
htuser

Post by htuser »

Thanks a lot Sherell for your response.
synching: attempting to sync an actively-in-use datafile could cause all sorts of potential problems/issues/concerns. Therefore, there are no plans to change that behavior.
OK. But, The sync button allow it between two cases. So, you can give us a way to call it on stop. OnExit could also be a solution if it allow the execution of a last logic from the exiting app.
For the writecase, sqlquery insert into can do the task, but it doesn't change sync metadata such as revision.
Best,
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

I'm going to guess that SQL has a wee bit more programmers on staff :)

We're a pretty small shop, so we can only do so much. Right now, expanding the reporting & export features has taken the priority.

And of course, even if we have good ideas on how to improve CSPro, unless it's something that a lot of users will use, then it won't make the cut.

Sherrell
htuser

Post by htuser »

This request is regarding my latest thinking about displaying rosters on Android devices. With multiple questions on screen, they are the never implemented largest users request. I can easily understand that you're a small team, it's because, we always require more and more openness, so other users can add user designed packages, libs and more.

Hopefully, with the latest version, you follow the best thinkable way, open CSPro to the most popular programming language: Javascript.

However, a complete freedom will be to have a CSPro javascript library of the engine. This will allow to any NSO, institutes or independent developer to use CSPro as the main of any Census/Survey in house apps development and easily output any Android/Windows/IOS apps with theirs specifics name and logo using Cordova, Electron and so on.

With the latest advancements in WASM, I think it's a dream that can come true.

At the same time, having a Webview centric approach: complete HTML5/CSS (using for example jQuery UI lib) for the .fmf, we can have the same UI running in a WebView, on any OS (Displaying whole UI in Webview 2 on Windows, and Webview Android) so do the web.

So the pretty small shop will have more freedom!

Best,
htuser

Post by htuser »

Since this post, it become more realistic to have:
i) automatic and silent sync;
ii) writecase on the main DCF;
in CSPro because SQLite team is implementing theses technologies: The first is also very important for the CSPro CAWI: CSDB can be used in any browser!
So, lot of things become more realistic to be implemented in CSPro.
Best,