Problème GPS

Discussions about CSEntry
sherrell

Re: Problème GPS

Post by sherrell »

Hi Ares,

For each of the 5 EAs you're showing map markers for, how many did you get GPS readings for, and how many did you expect to get, within each EA?

I ask just so we have an idea on the failure rate. Your answer won't help me offer any suggestions, since your program is working fine for me. Unless you are in a dense urban environment or inside buildings where the enumerators can't get a clear signal, you shouldn't have any problems with the call.

Sherrell
ares

Post by ares »

Hi Sherrel,

The first EA was ok for the 488 households. It started failing at the second EA:
2nd EA: 9 marks for 260 points
3rd EA: 5 marks for 568 points
4th EA: 13 marks for 260 points
5th EA: around 17 marks for 236 points
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

wow. ok, thnx for that Ares
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Ares, we were talking about your GPS problem this afternoon, and Aaron had this to say:

Both devices appears to only have aGPS (or similar glonass). It appears that this technology is typically used to improve already-existing gps functionality. The a-gps offboards the calculation of the position fix. But they won't work in areas with no coverage or internet link.

This wiki page discusses what aGPS systems are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS

Since 7.3, CSPro has been using Google's fused location provider (https://developers.google.com/location- ... n-provider). However, this uses a combination of GPS readings and wi-fi readings (with wi-fi likely not being available to your enumerators in urban areas without paying an access fee, and likely completely unavailable in rural areas). So, Aaron is not quite sure what GPS reading would get passed to CSPro when there is no connection. Would it fail, or use cached values? What happens when the device only has access to a single tower? More questions, sorry, but just to say that we're not in control of everything here.

Are these high-fail areas in rural areas?

Thanks,
Sherrell
ares

Post by ares »

Hi Sherrel,

EAs were in both urban and rural areas. We were not putting SIM cards in tablet and we were not using wi-fi. It is true the number of satelittes were usually 0. I extracted cordinates from one tablet in Yaounde (urban).
Attachments
Coordinates of some EAs.xlsx
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

>It is true the number of satelittes were usually 0.

It sounds like that could be the problem. Thanks for the update Ares.

Sherrell