Modifying cases on android

Discussions about CSEntry
tweg

Modifying cases on android

Post by tweg »

Dear,

How does one select edit/modify mode on android to make changes to already completed cases. When I go to case tree and pick field to change, it changes the ID and I am forced to go to the end to save the record.

Regards
Thad
josh

Re: Modifying cases on android

Post by josh »

Modify mode on Android is no different than it is on Windows. You pick the case to modify on the first screen and then you go through the questionnaire as usual. The id-items should not be modified unless you modify them. Do you have logic in your application that modifies the ids? If so then you may want to use the function demode() so that it is not run when in modify mode.
Ganas

Post by Ganas »

Dear Josh,
I have the same question and I need, if possible an urgent answer because Monday we have data collection using tablets.
I developed an application using an application "menu" to run the main application. So, I have 5 issues:
1. We have a team of supervisors and we would like supervisors to go through the tablet of enumerator and check some key information. How to access to the information already fulfilled by enumerators?
2. How the enumerator can go to the modify mode to correct information?
3. When an enumerator close the tablet, by re-opening it and running the application, he is obliged to start a new case and he can not see the questionnaire already done. How to display the questionnaires captured?
4. Suppose you are entering data from Q1 to Q20 and you are at Q20. If, before saving the questionnaire, you need to check information on Q15 by clicking on "BACK", two things appear. Data captured on questions with multiple choices are cleaned while question with one choice are not deleted.
5. Suppose for a variable you have dropped down by choosing between Male and Female. How to delete the answer already chosen by coming back?

Regards
josh

Post by josh »

Normally when you want to re-open an already entered case to modify it you just tap on the case-ids in the case listing screen. This is the screen that comes up after entering choosing the data application. On the top you have "start new case" and under that you have the list of the aready entered cases. Just tap on of those cases and it will open in modify mode. You may be skipping over this screen if you are using a menu program that writes out a .pff file to launch the data entry program with "StartMode=Add". If that is the case you need to change your menu program to have an option where that line is omitted from the .pff so that you don't automatically get sent into add mode. This is probably the issue for your items 1 through 3.

For item 4 do you have logic that is getting triggered that could be clearing out the multiple choice questions? This does not normally happen in CSPro. Normally all questions are preserved when you go back.

For item 5 you fields do not get reset when you go back as this would potentially cause you to lose a lot of data when you just want to go back to review a question. Usually if you want to able leave a field unanswered you would a code for that - a code 9 for example for "don't know" or "no-response". Alternatively you can add an item to the value set with the special value notappl which show up as blank in the data file.
Ganas

Post by Ganas »

Dear Josh,
Thank you for your quick response which will help me to improve the application.
Regarding the issue of displaying data, I tried without succeeding on the tablet.
Could you please give me your e-mail and I can send to you my application for advise. Mine is agicondo@gmail.com.

Regards.
josh

Post by josh »

You send it as a private message on the forum or to csprojosh@gmail.com.
Ganas

Post by Ganas »

Dear,
Could you elaborate more because I can't access to the data. On desktop or laptop, no problem, I have access on data and modify them, the problem is on tablet.
Regards
jaja

Post by jaja »

dear josh,

good day!!!

i have a case in modify mode, when i open a case that had been encoded completely in modify mode and change some item in a roster some of my data where deleted. for example i have 3 members in a roster with field like age, sex and marital status,
age sex marital status
member one 25 2 1
member two 20 1 2
member three 18 2 1

i opened the case in modify mode, then i edit member one, change sex to 1 and save the case by using endlevel, when i opened it again
my data for member one marital status is deleted or blank and all data for members two and three are also deleted, could you please help me.

thank you
josh

Post by josh »