Multiple Selection Option

Discussions about CSEntry
sjonabro

Multiple Selection Option

Post by sjonabro »

Hi everyone, I am a new CSPro user and I am currently programming a survey. I have been unable to find an option for multiple selection of items for a variable. I tried "combo box" which I believe is the right setting for this, with no luck, it only allows me to select one item in the list. Any help?
Thanks!
jbthompson21

Re: Multiple Selection Option

Post by jbthompson21 »

You can accomplish this by extending the dictionary length of the item to the combined length of possible options, setting it to alpha variable type and then choosing check box, which should now be an option.

I had a question similar to this. Is it possible to make a check box multiple choice question from an extremely long value set. (say 75 values)? I've tried using numbers, letters, and a combination but can't seem to make it work. Thanks!
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

thanks jbthompson21 - I did as you suggested. For combining the length of all possible options, if my value set is something like:
cow = 1
chicken = 2
ducks = 3

is the length 3 or 15? (the length of the values or of the labales?)
When I set it to 3, the check box appears but it gives me a warning -the selected capture type is not compatible with this item's first value set-
I wonder if this is an issue when I have it set to alpha but my value sets are numerical?
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Ok, thanks... I answered my questions above by trying it out with a small test... For those interested, it is the length of the variable label...
THANKS AGAIN!
josh

Post by josh »

@jbthompson21 you can combine lowercase and uppercase letters plus numbers and symbols to get to 75 options:

a-z: 26 options
A-Z: 26 options
0-9: 10 options
!@#$%^&*()[]{: 13 options

You can also use 2 digit codes if you don't like using symbols.