CSPro and tablet PCs

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Anne

CSPro and tablet PCs

Post by Anne »

I've taken it for granted that tablet PC is the right tool for CAPI interviewing, but now I've bought one for testing, and I'm not so sure anymore. The main problem is to input data that does not have value sets: The "Tablet PC Input Panel" is extremely awkward to use, I think. And in addition it takes up half of the screen, which makes it hard to see what you're actually doing.

So I wonder: Has anybody tried to du a survey using tablet yet? what are the experiences?

And also: Are there any plans of changing CSPro so it works better with tablet PCs? (Don't really know what would do the trick, though)
Gregory Martin

Re: CSPro and tablet PCs

Post by Gregory Martin »

Macro International (now ICFI) has used CSPro 4.1 on Windows tablets in several countries. My impression is that things have gone well for them, but most of the questions on their surveys have value sets. I saw one of the tablets that they were using and the keyboard only took up maybe 20% of the screen, so you might want to see if there is software for your tablet that will display a smaller keyboard.

In the long term, we're planning to make CSEntry run better on tablets, with a different visual interface and more controls (like buttons and tabs), but it's not clear if we'll first focus on Windows tablets or on Android tablets.

For now, I would say that the key is to use as many value sets as possible. You can create dynamic value sets to reduce the number of questions that require data entry. And use the extended controls like check boxes and date pickers, when possible.

What tablet did you buy?
htuser

Post by htuser »

I think that the best upgrade to implement in the next Cspro release for tablet friendly use is the management of handwriting recognition so that users can write with a pen and the text of the handwriting software must be write directly in the Cspro cases.

There's some good handwriting software as Ritepen from http://ritescript.com/products/ritepen.aspx

In Windows tablet friendly versions, the software is also very good.
We're always waiting for the revolution of the Cspro framework (DBMS, Windows phone and Android support and more tablet friendly function etc.)
Regards to all
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
duozhu

Post by duozhu »

Tablet PC is a good tool.
Especially in some mobile situations.
I bought a cheap tablet PC(http://www.vaful.com/tablet-pc-c-4.html) feel good.