Problems with exporting data collected using CSEntry

Discussions about CSEntry
KSHELLEN

Problems with exporting data collected using CSEntry

Post by KSHELLEN »

I am using the most current version of the CSEntry app on an Android device (Nexus tablet) and am struggling to get the data entered on the device into a viewable/usable format for Stata (or any other format!). I have managed to Synchronize my device with Dropbox, and after Synchronization posts-data entry, I have two files in my dropbox: 1) one that has no extension which I'm assuming is the .dat file (?) and 2) the .not file. I have copied these two CSEntry-generated files from Dropbox onto my computer and am trying to use the CSPro 6.2 "Export Data" feature to export the data in a Stata-readable format. I have been doing the following steps:

Launching CSPro .ent file
Opening "Export data" under Tools
Selecting my .dcf file
Checking all the items I want to export (checking all)
Choosing Stata as "export format"
Clicking the "green light" run icon
Choosing my .dat file when asked to "Select CSPro Data File(s) to Export"
Clicking "OK" when the "Specify names of exported files" dialogue box opens up
I immediately get a dialogue box that says "No output generated in file C:\My...... File not created."

What am I doing wrong? Is there a different way to get data entered via mobile CSEntry into a usable format?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,
Kristen
josh

Re: Problems with exporting data collected using CSEntry

Post by josh »

That message usually means that you either have the wrong data file or that you don't have any data in your data file.

You can open the data file in a text editor to see what the contents are. Right click on the file in Windows and choose "Send To..." and then "Text Viewer". If the file is your data file you should see a bunch of numbers and text that correspond to the data you entered.

You can also try opening the data file in CSEntry on Windows by running your data entry application on your Windows PC and opening the data file from your application to see if it has any cases in it.

It may be that in your sync to Dropbox your are not transferring the correct data file. You may want to just copy the data file directly from the tablet via USB to see if it works that way. Did you write your own .pnc file to do the sync or are did just create a sync from the .pff file? If you made your own .pnc you need to make sure that the client path matches the directory that your data file is in. The directory your data file is in will depend on which directory you selected for the data file when you created the .pff file.

CSPro generates a bunch of different files in addition to the data file and you may be looking at the wrong one. For a list of files that CSPro generates and their file extensions see: http://www.csprousers.org/downloads/wor ... nsions.pdf

Also you should make to sure to set Windows to display file extensions so you can tell which CSPro file is which. See this link for info on how to do that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

To make it easier to tell which file is the data file in the future we recommend naming the data file with a .dat file extension. This is done when creating the .pff file when you run for the first time. You can also edit the .pff by right clicking on it in Windows and choosing "Edit". There you can modify the data file name.
KSHELLEN

Re: Problems with exporting data collected using CSEntry

Post by KSHELLEN »

thank you, josh, so much for the quick reply!! it seems to be working now - both from copying straight from android device to PC, and using Dropbox sync feature - simply by add the .dat to the .pff file. i'm able to to the data export and getting the stata .do and .dct files CSPro is new to me so I really appreciate the support!