Problem with partial save and CSPro 6.1

Discussions about CSEntry
mashour

Problem with partial save and CSPro 6.1

Post by mashour »

Hi all,

I've been using CSPro occasionally since early 2014 and I've been running into some really frustrating problems recently that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) Partial save problem: I created a CSPro application in October 2014 that was successfully used for data collection in the field. The application had a launcher that appropriately directed the enumerator to one of 5 surveys. This year we are using the same application but we have made some changes, mostly to the dictionary, such as changing question texts and response options. Nothing fundamental about the structure of the questionnaire has changed since last year, but everywhere that a partial save is programmed, the data entry application crashes. This wasn't the case last year and I don't understand why I cannot use the savepartial() function successfully anymore. Both applications were created using CSPro 6.0.1. What could be going on??

2) The reason I am using CSPro 6.0.1 instead of CSPro 6.1 is because I created a different application this summer using CSPro 6.1 and had a terrible experience. I was similarly revising an application created in CSPro 5.0.2 by someone else in 2013. I was making all the updates using CSPro 6.1, but the changes were quite significant here. In fact it might have been easier to start an new application altogether. However I just made changes to the existing application and found that the Designer crashed a lot. This happened mostly when I was making changes to the dictionary. Inexplicably the designer would crash when I made changes to value set labels, or if editing the wording of a question in the dictionary!! As a matter of fact, sometimes it wouldn't crash but when I would close the program at the end of the day, and reopen the same application the next day the Designer would crash during the launch. Of course the only solution then was to use an old backed up copy of the application and redo all the changes again. :cry: After going through this a half dozen times, I was done with CSPro 6.1!

3) Finally, I can't seem to open any applications created in CSPro 6.1 using an older version of CSPro. Is this the case for others? I didn't realize we were losing 'forwards compatibility' with 6.1.

I do have to admit I built a three part survey + launcher from scratch using CSPro 6.1 this summer and it was very successful. So perhaps many of these are compatibility issues that could be resolved by creating a new application from scratch but often I have about 5 days to build very complex applications, and so revising an older and very similar version has normally been the most efficient method, although clearly not the last few times...

I really appreciate any help I can get, and I'm happy to provide more detail if you would like.
josh

Re: Problem with partial save and CSPro 6.1

Post by josh »

The partial save problem sounds like a bug. Can you post your application or send it to me in a private message? Pease include the data file and the partial save file (the one that ends in .sts).

CSPro provides backwards compatibility - newer versions of CSPro can open files from earlier versions. CSPro does not provide forwards compatability - if you create and application in a newer version you can't go back to an older version. That is because is in newer versions the file format often changes to support new features and the old version can't read the new format. That said, between some versions, the format hasn't changed and it is possible to back to an older version by changing the version numbers in the files. You can use the version shifter to do this (http://www.csprousers.org/2013/01/16/cs ... n-shifter/). This will not always work since some between some versions there changes to the file format so make a backup of your application before you use it.
mashour

Post by mashour »

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for offering to help. I will send you a private message with the application.

M
Last edited by mashour on August 3rd, 2016, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashour

Post by mashour »

Actually it doesn't seem like I can send a PM. I have a Dropbox link to the data but would prefer to share it via email/PM because it contains some sensitive data.
josh

Post by josh »

Just sent you a PM. Maybe you can reply to it.