new to dropbox sync

Discussions about CSEntry
sjonabro

new to dropbox sync

Post by sjonabro »

Hi everyone,
I will be using CSPro again to collect household data as part of a nationally representative project. This time around, given the extent of the work that we will be conducting I would like to use dropbox to sync the tablets of multiple enumerators to dropbox.

I cannot figure out how to start setting the synchronization up. I have read the manual, but at the very basic level, I don't even know where I am supposed to write the code that is used in the examples.

I would appreciate your help!
Thanks!
josh

Re: new to dropbox sync

Post by josh »

Take a look at the data transfer users guide on the website:

https://www.census.gov/population/inter ... odocs.html
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Thanks Josh, exactly what I needed.
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Hi Josh, and everyone -
I was able to set up the synchronization, thanks to the document linked in the message above.
When I sync, however, I get the folder with the %UID%/%DATETIME% for each case that I have entered in the device, but I do not get any data. Just an empty folder.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Sjona
josh

Post by josh »

You probably don't have the client path is probably not set correctly. The client path needs to match the directory on the Android device that contains your data file. Note that the command "ClientPath=/" will set the client path to the CSEntry directory so if you have "ClientPath=/csentry/..." then you are adding an extra "csentry" to the path.

When you add the synchronization on the device pay close to attention to the "From" and "To" lines on the confirmation screen that comes up and make sure the paths there match what you have on your device. If after that you can't find the problem, attach your sync spec file here and we can take a look. Also copy the synclog.txt file from the csentry directory on the device and post it here as it offers clues as to what is not working.
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Thanks Josh, I kept playing around with the files, and I was able to sync! I am not sure why I am able to sync now but was not before, this is what I did differently, and I am assuming this is why I was able to get my data synced.

The first few times I tried to sync, I uploaded the .pff file to the tablet with the usb cable from the computer, entered a few cases, and then I went through the syncing process - which created the empty folders.

When it did work, I had the empty CSEntry application in my tablet, and synced the .pff file using dropbox, I then opened the survey, added a few cases and synced again, and then I had the .dat files sync correctly into the folders.

What do you think?
josh

Post by josh »

It's possible that the paths in the sync spec (.pnc) file didn't match the directory layout that you had on the device when copied over from USB but it did match when you downloaded from Dropbox. Pretty much every problem people have with sync files are related to the paths in the sync spec not matching the directory layout or not matching the directory path on the server.