Exporting Data

Discussions about CSEntry
sjonabro

Exporting Data

Post by sjonabro »

Hello everyone,
I am having issues exporting data from tablet to STATA/SPSS/CSV (or to any program).
I have created a case in the tablet. But I am not sure where to go from there. I tried copying and pasting the files that were generated in the tablet to the CSPro Entry Program in my computer, but I cannot see any .dat files that have been generated. When I go through the exporting steps in the program I get the message: "no output generated. No file created".
I would really appreciate your help!
josh

Re: Exporting Data

Post by josh »

After entering data for the first time on the tablet you may need to reboot the tablet for the data file to show up when the tablet is connected to the PC. On certain Android devices files newly created files on the tablet are not scanned until the tablet reboots.

You need to make sure that you copy the correct data file from the tablet. The name of the data file is specified in the .pff that you copied onto the tablet. You can see it by copying the .pff file onto the PC, right clicking on it and choosing "Edit".

In addition to the data file itself CSPro generates other files that go along with it such as the log file, partial save file and field notes file. These will have the same as the data file but with a different file extension (last 3 letters of the name). We recommend disabling the default Windows behavior of hiding file extensions for known file types which makes it hard these files apart: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Thanks Josh,
I followed your steps and I still cannot see a .dat file.
I entered one case in my tablet, saved, rebooted and still no .dat file.
I have the .pff and .pen files and a few additional files (.idx, .lst, .sts) in my tablet. I even copied everything from the tablet to CSPro in my computer in case I was missing something but still no luck.

When you say that name of the data file is specified in the .pff file, what do you mean? I looked at the edit options but nothing jumped out.

Any thoughts?
Aniseh
josh

Post by josh »

Look under "input data" in the .pff file. See the line that is circled in red below. Note that it is a relative file path and if it has ".." in it that means that it will be in a parent directory. So for example if you put your .pff file in the CSEntry directory on your tablet but the path to your input data file is "../data/myfile.dat" then your data won't be in the CSEntry directory.
pff.PNG
pff.PNG (57.02 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
confused

Post by confused »

How do I open the .pff file as you show below? I doubled clicked on it, looked under properties, etc... could not find it. I am not being able to generate a .dat file.
I have looked at different threads and cannot solve this problem.
Thank you
confused

Post by confused »

solved: click on "edit"