about reviewing data but not allowed to change it

Discussions about CSEntry
Jing Liu

about reviewing data but not allowed to change it

Post by Jing Liu »

Hi,

I would like to allow supervisor to review the data from interviewers but not allow them to modify the data, is that possible?

Currently, I bind household with device ID, only the device ID stored in sample file can do data entry for a specific household. In that case, supervisor cannot even review the data. I can remove all the logics in apc file, but it will not prevent supervisor to change the data.

Is there any easier way to solve it?

I am working on android tablet.

best

Jing
josh

Re: about reviewing data but not allowed to change it

Post by josh »

I can't think of a simple way to do it. You could add logic to the onfocus/killfocus of every field to make sure that value has not changed but that would be a LOT of work.

I would probably generate a report as a text or html file containing the interviewers data and have the supervisor review that rather than have the supervisor use data entry for the review but that isn't exactly simple either.

Maybe someone else has come up with something clever and will post their solution.

A "read-only" mode in addition to add and modify modes might be a nice future addition to CSEntry.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Dear all,
Before having ability to do more sophisticate HTML copies of Csentry case then transform them to pdf (because HTML can be easily modified! and encoding directly from Csentry to pdf is very very difficult. Also, pdf is more secure for unauthorized avoid data dissemination), i think that it was possible to have a read only access by coding Verify in pff or using demode() function.

Using demode() function was the best way. Since every enumerators and supervisors have an access code and use them via a menu, i imagined that coding a user defined function with demode() and user code categories should prevent modification for some groups (supervisors, for example).

What do think Josh?
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Jing Liu

Post by Jing Liu »

Hi,

If I understand it right, there is a way to do it rather than putting codes into every variable, right?

if I use verify in pff, do i need to use demode() function in every variable?

Would you please say a bit more about "Before having ability to do more sophisticate HTML copies of Csentry case then transform them to pdf (because HTML can be easily modified! and encoding directly from Csentry to pdf is very very difficult. Also, pdf is more secure for unauthorized avoid data dissemination)", i have not done that before. Do i also need to add some codes into each variables to generate that file?

best

Jing
josh

Post by josh »

Unfortunately verify mode is not supported on Android and I'm pretty sure Jing is using Android for his survey. I'm not sure what you mean about using demode() and user defined function. Could you explain a bit more?

As to the other possible solution, he just wants a way for the supervisor to view the data on the tablet without being able to modify it so for that HTML or plain text would be fine since he wouldn't distribute the HTML/text files, he would just display it on the tablet.
htuser

Post by htuser »

1.-Usually i write a user defined function to write a pff with attributes such as mode=verify and launch it with execpff which is a classic approach. Unfortunately Android doesn't support verify mode,
2.- Assuming that supervisors access code series have the string sup (sup01, sup02,supn) i would use this code
string accesscode=getoperatorid();
if pos ("sup","accesscode")>0 then
demode()=verify
endif;
• verify, to reenter the cases as a check for differences between the first and second entry. I think among existing functions this allow better for verification.
3.- I use a user defined function to transform case to HTML.
But, if used on tablets, theses files are created on and can be easily disseminate. It's a good solution, but modifying HTML is easy through whatever text editor. It's be cause, it's better to transform it to pdf using php function and libraries. Since disseminate survey questionnaire is a crime in my country, i also have to protect pdf questionnaires with specific password. It's time consuming...
Jing Liu

Post by Jing Liu »

Hi,

I think a read-only mode would be very useful in some circumstance. But I understand it may not be as important as some other tasks on the list of development : ). You sure have a long list!

I thought if I use verify mode, I will not be able to see what was input in the first time, isn't it true?

Htuser, I am glad to know that I am not the only one comes up some strange ideas sometimes. Is that possible to share your codes and do you know where i can find some sample codes?

I also have another question. In the following text for 'noinput', it says:

"The noinput statement prevents input of a field during data entry. This command can be coded only in the preproc or onfocus procedures.
When the statement is executed in a preproc, control passes directly from the field's preproc to the field’s postproc, executing the onfocus and killfocus procedures (if present) and performing the item range check, but not permitting input of the field. When the statement is executed in an onfocus, control passes directly from the field's onfocus to the field’s postproc, executing the killfocus procedure if present and performing the item range check, but not permitting input of the field. The field is on the data entry path even though entry is prevented."

May i understand it in this way.

If I use 'noinput' in preproc, the codes in 'preproc' will not be executed, the codes in 'onfocus' will be executed, the codes in 'killfocus' will be executed, and the codes in 'postproc' will not be executed. Right?

And, by the way, Jing is a she :D

best

Jing
josh

Post by josh »

Jing - sorry about using the incorrect pronoun for you. I'll use "she" in future.

To answer your question on noinput. With noinput all of the procs (preproc, postroc, onfocus, killfocus) are still executed. The only effect noinput has is that the user does not enter the data for the field. It basically simulates the user hitting enter to validate data was already in the field.
htuser

Post by htuser »

No problem to share codes with you, but only in private. This, because do it publicly expose thousands of questionnaires to public. As you know, if someone has the dcf file, he can easily read data files and exploit them. Also, if they have specific codes for application who are using for actual surveys, they can easily transform a whole survey database to html questionnaires. It's a privacy and security concern for interviewers.
Please see my post about this problem
http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ters#p3160

Nevertheless to start to help you, please see this posts and download documents and read my comments.
http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1177

Case to html is a method, not a ready to use function, so each designer has to write it's own codes relative to his questionnaire.

Are you familiar to HTML/CSS coding? Do you have an intermediate level to Cspro logic? Please send to me your email, maybe via private message. So i can help you more.

Waiting your post!
HTUSER
Winnereoc

Post by Winnereoc »

htuser wrote:No problem to share codes with you, but only in private. This, because do it publicly expose thousands of questionnaires to public. As you know, if someone has the dcf file, he can easily read data files and exploit them. Also, if they have specific codes for application who are using for actual surveys, they can easily transform a whole survey database to html questionnaires. It's a privacy and security concern for interviewers.
Please see my post about this problem
http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ters#p3160

Nevertheless to start to help you, please see this posts and download documents and read my comments.
http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1177
www.4rsgold.com

Case to html is a method, not a ready to use function, so each designer has to write it's own codes relative to his questionnaire.

Are you familiar to HTML/CSS coding? Do you have an intermediate level to Cspro logic? Please send to me your email, maybe via private message. So i can help you more.

Waiting your post!
HTUSER
Thx...ccan you give me your codes???

THX again!!!
A gamer and love playing games.Recommend you 4rsgold.com~~~