Data Sequence Disturbed after adding new item

Discussions about CSEntry
CareMLE

Data Sequence Disturbed after adding new item

Post by CareMLE »

Hi everybody,

could you anybody please tell me how to handle CSPRO data if we need to add new items after we have punched 20-30 records. Actually, my experience is : it shifts all the data to one cell back after you insert a new item.

Hoping to have the earliest response.

--
Best Regards,
Kunal
khurshid.arshad

Re: Data Sequence Disturbed after adding new item

Post by khurshid.arshad »

Dear CareMLE

If you are talking about data entry and you want add new line during data entry then put your Cursor on last line and press Ctrl+F3.

a.
CareMLE

Post by CareMLE »

Thanks for the prompt response Khurshid.

But, i think i need to elaborate it in more details. We have a form for data entry with questions Q1,Q2 to Q10 (example). Now, after finishing 30 records, we realized that Q5 was missing in the form and dictionary. Now, as we add new item in the dictionary and modify the form. We should see a blank cell for Q5 and rest all cells be filled for the selected record (if you see previously entered record in edit mode). But, this is not the case, Q5 retrieves data for Q6, Q6 for Q7 and so on..

Hope you got my point. What is the right approach to handle this case..??
lls

Post by lls »

Hi,

If you modify your dictionnary, the data already entered in your .dat file will not reflect your dictionnary anymore. That is why, after adding Q5 in the dictionnary, all data after Q4 are shifted.

I think the easiest solution is to add your new item at the end of your dictionnary, if you don't mind having Q5 at the end right after Q20. In your data entry mask, you can place your additionnal field anywhere so it won't be a problem for keyers, thay won't even notice.

An other solution is to add your new item in a logical order within the dictionnary and use the reformat data tool in CSPro > Tools
Last edited by lls on November 28th, 2013, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CareMLE

Post by CareMLE »

Many thanks lls,

I would like to try the 2nd option 'Reformat'. Will revert back as with another experience. Thanks again.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Kunal,

For additional information, read the slides starting at 25 here: http://www.csprousers.org/downloads/wor ... aries.pptx
CareMLE

Post by CareMLE »

Many Thanks Greg and lls. I succeeded in doing it.. Greg, the ppt is very nice and i would recommend it for others in the group.

--
Thanks,
Kunal