Synchronize data.csdb from different tablets to the same server

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Jason37

Synchronize data.csdb from different tablets to the same server

Post by Jason37 »

Hi everyone I have i little problem I'm new to CSpro and somehow managed to synchronize data to my server but if I had like many sources of data (different tablets) trying to send the same file name i wonder how I can set it up to get every csdb file to be different from the next one like to attach a number to it before synchronize it on the server
aaronw

Re: Synchronize data.csdb from different tablets to the same server

Post by aaronw »

Are you using syncfile to send data? If so try using syncdata. The case data for each interview will be held in a single CSDB file. The CSDB file is a local database. It's not necessary to manage the CSDB file with different names. You can identify a specific interview with the id items.
Jason37

Post by Jason37 »

Yes I'm using syncfile but when I tried to use syncdata I couldn't cause it's not a dictionary (or that what I understood) but what I'm trying to do is to rename every data.csdb file before sending it to the server (in this case I'll know which csdb file is coming from which tablet) like i used marktext to remane photos taken
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

When calling syncdata you would pass in the name of dictionary that is associated with the CSDB. For instance, if you have household.csdb the dictionary might be HOUSEHOLD_DICT. The id items are special identifiers that must be unique to the case (interview). In a census I make this a specific geography (e.g., Region 1, Ward 01, EA 001). However, if you want to make it easy to know who did the interview you could make the id item the interviewer code. Then it would be easy to see all the interviews done by interviewer 01 (whether via a universe in a syncdata call or a where clause in a forcase). Part of the benefit of a CSDB is you don't have to manage files and file names.

However, if you want to treat the CSDB like files you can use the keyword setfile to change which CSDB is associated with the dictionary. Then you could have homer.csdb, lisa.csdb, etc associated with HOUSEHOLD_DICT.
Jason37

Post by Jason37 »

thank you aaronw for the help i will just try to make to know the difference through the ID