Data Viewer Sync with a Universe

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
slwendo

Data Viewer Sync with a Universe

Post by slwendo »

Hi,

Is there a way of downloading data from Data Viewer and adding a universe (filter for geography) to the pff?

Cheers
sherrell

Re: Data Viewer Sync with a Universe

Post by sherrell »

Hi Steven,

While a PFF is generated for Data Viewer's download, we don't provide any options with it.

If you want to apply a universe, you'll have to use the Export utility.

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSExpor ... _data.html

Hope you are doing well !

Sherrell
Last edited by sherrell on April 21st, 2023, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
slwendo

Post by slwendo »

SyncPff.PNG
SyncPff.PNG (16.31 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
Hi Sherrell,

Thank you for the response and the link to the Export Data guide.

I'm thinking of a scenario where I want to do what the syncdata function does (GET with a universe) but using the 'Download' option in Data Viewer. Or add a universe to the Sync App pff that I get when I click download in CSWeb.

Cheers and enjoy spring!
Attachments
Downloado_using Data Viewer.png
Downloado_using Data Viewer.png (86.56 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Steven,

I modified my initial response to you, as I was seeing "export" in your question, not "download"...sorry! So while CSPro does generate a PFF for the download feature, we don't allow any options, and at this time, aren't planning to add any.

Are you doing this as a way to make it easier for a non-programmer to download specific pieces of the data from the server? If so, you could create a batch app that does this, prompting the user to enter the geography they're interested in retrieving.

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/p ... ction.html

Or use production runner to select the geography they're interested in.

Sherrell
slwendo

Post by slwendo »

Hi Sherrell,

Thanks again. That's really helpful.

I'm thinking of the following scenario (and it probably isn't very common) with hypothetical geography: Country, Province, County, etc. There are 10 provinces each with 10 counties.

1. Large dataset on CSWeb (suppose a 1TB csdb file)
2. Need to process data by geography (county) using production runner for the processing bit :-)
3. Running multiple processing machines in parallel- each processing several different counties - so I can optimize on time
4. On any particular machine - be able to download data by county and start processing (cross tabs, edits etc) that county (on the same machine) as it continues downloading another county. If I'm using a batch file for downloading, I can't run another instance of batch (cross tabs, edits) while the download batch is running. However, downloading with the sync pff will allow me to run a batch (cross tabs, edits) at the same time.

Cheers,
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Steven,

>Running multiple processing machines in parallel- each processing several different counties - so I can optimize on time

LOL, being sneaky :)

>I can't run another instance of batch (cross tabs, edits) while the download batch is running.

Did you try running the tabs/edit batch app by launching it via the pff, rather then by launching the app directly from CSPro? For I know I can run two batch apps by doing it this way.

Sherrell
slwendo

Post by slwendo »

Aha! Thats where the trick is. Thanks so much Sherrell.
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Yeah, we don't allow you to launch more than one instance of an entry/batch/tab app from within CSPro...I think we were trying to keep people from getting themselves into trouble...but I don't believe there's a limit when running it from file explorer/the command line :)

Have a good weekend!
Sherrell
slwendo

Post by slwendo »

Thanks Sherrell.

I can now run multiple production runners in parallel within a machine, and have multiple machines processing counties (in my hypothetical scenario above) :-).

Have a great weekend too!