OLD DICTIONARY TO NEW DICTIONARY

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
YFT_CBSD

OLD DICTIONARY TO NEW DICTIONARY

Post by YFT_CBSD »

Hi.

My scenario is i have a dictionary file and i created a new dictionary file using the dictionary macros
image_2023-02-22_140901064.png
image_2023-02-22_140901064.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
, so the changes are only the item name and item label, How can i reformat my data using my new dictionary? tried the reformat data tool but the generated csdb output has missing values specifically with the new item name. Thanks.
aaronw

Re: OLD DICTIONARY TO NEW DICTIONARY

Post by aaronw »

One option would be to open the CSDBs and save them as DAT files. Then you can open the old dictionary and update the dictionary names. Then rerun the reformat tool pointing to the corresponding dictionaries and DAT files. Then convert back to a CSDB.
YFT_CBSD

Post by YFT_CBSD »

Hi tried every possible way to do it and still cant figureout, can you give the detailed instructions on how to do it? and other options for this query. Thanks
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

CSPro DB files contain some information that cannot be represented in text format. The file's synchronization history, for example, is not relevant in the text data file format. If you are not concerned with that information, then what you can do, if truly only the item names/labels have changed, is:

1) Open your initial CSPro DB data file in Data Viewer.

2) Save it as a text file. That is, save the data using a file extension that is not .csdb/.csbde, for example: .dat. Here is how to save the data: https://www.csprousers.org/help/DataVie ... rmats.html

3) Close the first file in Data Viewer.

4) Open the new file that you created. It is a text file, so Data Viewer will ask you for the dictionary needed to read the file. Select your new dictionary, the one with the renamed items.

5) If you want the data back in CSPro DB format, repeat the step in #2, but this time give the file the extension .csdb.
YFT_CBSD

Post by YFT_CBSD »

Thanks for this, tried it but the old values per item has gone.