Can I insert more than one group occurrence in a roster?

Discussions about editing and cleaning data
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Yeshiwas Tilahun

Can I insert more than one group occurrence in a roster?

Post by Yeshiwas Tilahun »

Dears, I know that how to insert a group occurrence by clicking "insert group occ" in edit menu or pressing F3 in a roaster. However this procedure is time consuming for many numbers of rows in a roaster. For instance , I have 52 rows in one roaster and if in a case of I have two rows filled in one roaster with a position of 1 and 2 i.e. let it be the first value is filled in the first row and the 52th value is filled in second row then 52th have wrong position in a roaster. So that to get 52th value with correct position I need to click "insert group occ" 50 times, which is inefficient for large number of cases.

Could you have any other method to insert multiple group occurrence in a roaster once?
sherrell

Re: Can I insert more than one group occurrence in a roster?

Post by sherrell »

Hi Yeshiwas,

I believe you are asking about modifying multiply-occurring records within a data entry application, yes? For you posted your question in the "editing" section, which was meant to apply to running a batch (.bch) application to edit data post-capture. The "Entry" section would be a better place for this query.

As for your question, I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly you're doing. Why is the row number so critical when adding some(one?) that the 52nd person must appear on the 52nd line? Do you have 2+ rosters and you wish to ensure person 1 in roster 1 is entered in line #1 of roster 2?

If you could attach your appliction that might help. But in general you really want to avoid adding or deleting rows (occurrences) from a roster during data entry.

Sherrell
Yeshiwas Tilahun

Thank you! Sherrell for your time! Dear Sherrell , I am within data entry application after data capture.
For more clarification I have attached the the screen shouted entry form post data capture.
cspro.docx
(220.17 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi again Yeshiwas,

Thanks for sending the file. So you want crops to be entered on the row that corresponds to the crop's code? For example, in the file you sent, if you only have crops 1 and 52 to enter, you want them to be keyed on rows 1 and 52? While you could add programming to accomplish this, it would be an awkward as well as odd implementation. It would also create empty records for occurrences 2-51, a usually undesirable situation.

Could you confirm if this is what you're trying to do, and if so, why it is necessary? For there is likely a way to work around what you may feel is a requirement or constraint.

Sherrell
Yeshiwas Tilahun

Hi Sherrell!

Thank you for understanding my query. As you said, I want to have blank occurrences from line 2 to 51. Because I want to have the correct position of each filled data with its corresponding rows on SPSS software after exporting. I have tried it by exporting to SPSS but I had wrong position of values and information, the value of 52 became to that of 2 (for line 2). I do not know whether the batching application will solve this problem, could you have any simplified way please?
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Yeshiwas,

Thanks for explaining what you're trying to do. You could try one of two approaches.

[1] If you handle it exclusively in entry, the simplest way would be to pre-fill the crop code for each line, and immediately after that field, add another field that asks if the person wants to enter data for that crop (Y/N). If no, skip to the next line. That's not a whole lot better than having them hit the F3, but it is cleaner programmatically.

[2] The other way is to take a combined approach. When someone enters the crop code in data entry, force them to enter the codes in numerical order. That is, when they enter a crop code for a given row/occurrence, make sure that number is LARGER than the crop code in the previous row (or the same code, if you're allowing more than one entry per crop--but I don't think so, based on what you've explained). Then in a batch edit app as you export the records, insert records where you need them.

This isn't a common request, so we don't have something more streamlined than this.

Hope that helps. Sherrell
Yeshiwas Tilahun

Thank you !Sherell! for your heartly help!
khurshid.arshad

Post by khurshid.arshad »

Hi Yeshiwas,

I've just posted a tutorial on how to deal with group occurrences. It's too late now, but it might useful for your next project.
https://youtu.be/ygfn2JbyuvE
a.