Problems with skipped alpha variables

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Iulian

Problems with skipped alpha variables

Post by Iulian »

Hi,

In our development I noticed the alpha variables don't behave the same way as numeric when they are skipped.

For example, != (not equal) condition in reference to an alpha variable is considered even if the referenced question was not asked.

Also, if under a revised route the (alpha variable) question is skipped, it still 'memorizes' the previous input and uses it in subsequent conditions.

That's not the case for numeric variables and I was wondering what are others doing to work around these.

Coping the ASK IF conditions from the referenced questions becomes overly complicated with multi-layer questions, and NOTAPPL condition does not apply to alpha/string variables.

Thanks,
Iulian
sherrell

Re: Problems with skipped alpha variables

Post by sherrell »

Hi Iulian,

You are correct, the value of an alpha variable is accessible/knowable when it is off-path, unlike numeric data which is not. I unfortunately can't give you a rationale behind this, tho it is something I will followup on.

To make this work, you will have to include a call to the "highlighted" function, to ascertain whether the alpha field is indeed on or off-path.

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/h ... ction.html

Sherrell
Iulian

Post by Iulian »

Hi Sherrell,

Thanks for your reply.

The suggested function will certainly come in handy, but from our perspective, even better if the innate behavior of alpha variables can be aligned with numeric. We were not even aware of the difference until we started noticing some weird inconsistencies in our surveys.

Anyhow, hope it can be addressed at the application level in one of the next updates.

Best,
Iulian
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Iulian,

Agree, it is an oddity that no one here seems to know how it got introduced (and many of us have been here since the beginning!)

I'll post an update here if it's something we can fix in an upcoming release.

Sherrell
Iulian

Post by Iulian »

Great, thanks!