Updating a Dictionary by Replacing the File

Discussions about CSEntry
bernices

Updating a Dictionary by Replacing the File

Post by bernices »

I was wondering if it would be possible to update an application's dictionary by simply replacing the previous file with a newer one. I was planning to do as follows:

1. Set dictionary structure by entering all records and the respective items under them.
2. Enter value sets for first one-third of my records.
3. Turn over the application to someone else to begin making forms based on the first one-third of the dictionary that is available/ready.
4. While this person is working on the forms on a separate computer, I continue to populate the value sets for the remaining two-thirds of our dictionary. But I will not add or edit anything to the first one-third I already prepared and turned over.
5. When my full dictionary is ready, have the person making the forms replace her .dct file with the new one.
bernices

Re: Updating a Dictionary by Replacing the File

Post by bernices »

Ok, I attempted my plan and am happy to report that it works. :)
Gregory Martin

Re: Updating a Dictionary by Replacing the File

Post by Gregory Martin »

One of the advantages of the way that CSPro structures applications it that it makes collaborative work possible. Because each aspect of the program is a separate file (dictionary, forms, logic, etc.), if you know what you are doing, you can edit files separately and join them together at a later point.