Display the month list in dropdown having a particular condition to find out month wise pendency

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
manishcspro

Display the month list in dropdown having a particular condition to find out month wise pendency

Post by manishcspro »

I have created an data entry application for capturing monthly progress of 23 departments starting from month April to March in every financial year.
My identification ID is District, Division, Month, Year, Department code.
In every month 23 cases for 23 departments are entered.
What I want to do is to check the pendency of data entry of department for a particular month,
Clearly I want to find out whether 23 cases are entered or not for each month or for a particular month.
In month dropdown I want to display the months having less than 23 cases for 23 departments.
Please guide me.
sherrell

Re: Display the month list in dropdown having a particular condition to find out month wise pendency

Post by sherrell »

Hi Manish,

How many records/how much data are you collecting for each dept? If it's a simpler application and you only have one record/not a lot of data fields, the application would work far more easily if you restructured the dictionary. I would drop dept code from the case IDs, and have a single (is that possible?) record for the case, which corresponds to the department. This record would repeat 23 times, and you would use the dept code as the ID for the record. If you can do this, then for every case (i.e., a single month's worth of 23 depts' info) you could easily figure out which depts' data are there or not, and present a list of the missing depts that need entry. Which is what I'm assuming you want to do once you find out which month's data are missing, proceed to data entry.

However, if you can't do that and want to keep the current structure, where each case is a separate department's data for a specific month/year, then that's a lot tougher/more work to accomplish. For at that point, you're not adding a record to a case, you're adding an entire case. Having a single application allow 2 points of entry, from the data entry operator AND via logic, is not advisable.

You wrote:

>In month dropdown I want to display the months having less than 23 cases for 23 departments.

If there are 5 months which are missing several department's worth of data, what happens if they choose a month? For example, suppose January is missing data from 3 departments; once they choose January, then what happens? In your scenario, that means there's 3 missing cases, how do they choose which dept to enter? Do you want to present another dropdown with the missing dept codes?

I strongly urge you to restructure it as above, but if you want to keep it as is, then my advice would be to either:

[1] create a batch application that runs through your data file and adds PARTIAL cases to the datafile for each dept's monthly data thats missing. Then when the operator reopens the datafile (in modify mode, not add), they would see the partials and can "complete" (enter) the data.

[2] you could have a menu/front-end application that asks the data entry operator what they want to do--add a new case or add missing cases; if they choose the latter, then as above, roll through the datafile and see what's missing, then present them with a menu that presents which months are "short", and then present a secondary menu that presents which depts are missing within that month. When you invoke the data entry application, you would pass in the IDs they requested. But this is kind of messy.

Hope this helps.
Sherrell
manishcspro

Re: Display the month list in dropdown having a particular condition to find out month wise pendency

Post by manishcspro »

Thanks a lot for the guidance..