New to CSPro; trying to convert paper survey to data

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Roketto

New to CSPro; trying to convert paper survey to data

Post by Roketto »

Hi there!

I'm new to this program, using Windows 10 Enterprise & CSPro 7.6.0., & I'm trying unsuccessfully to convert paper surveys, of which I have over 300, into digital data. The survey is a short 1-page citizen survey for a neighborhood, asking things like, "How long have you lived here?" & "How concerned are you about the following items?" I went through the tutorial easily enough, but when it comes to applying those techniques to my survey questions, I can't figure out how to get it to do what I need it to do. I can't even progress past creating the dictionary file because it keeps telling me there are errors. I think I ran into trouble trying to create subitems, because a few of my questions are structured as an overarching question (how do you feel about...), & there are then multiple subitems in a list listed beneath it for respondents to put a range of numbers, from 1 (not concerned) to 4 (very concerned).

Should I just type out the survey questions here, & you lovely people can tell me how best to convert them with CSPro?

EDIT: I attached a .ZIP file of what I have so far.
NMICitizenSurvey.zip
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Gregory Martin

Re: New to CSPro; trying to convert paper survey to data

Post by Gregory Martin »

I recommend against using subitems, as they will make your life more complicated. Subitems can be useful for something like a four-digit occupation code. If the code has a hierarchy, the subitem will allow you to easily access the first digit, second digit, and so on.

For your purposes, I would just make the item repeat. So you would add an item like CONCERN_LEVELS_CURRENT_FUTURE_CONDITIONS and then set Occ to 16. When you drag it to a form, you'll get a roster with 16 rows. You can probably add all of your questions without using subitems at all.
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

So subitems aren't worth trying to wrangle? Wish I'd known this earlier! Thank you so much for responding & trying to help me.

Okay, so there are only five questions on this survey, but some of them are structured so that there's an overarching question (How concerned are you with each of the following items in your community?), followed by a grid with each item listed, & a column for respondents to check "Now" & "Future" with a range from 1-4. How would I set this up, ideally? I've added a value set to the main question that looks like this:

1 = not concerned 1
2 = somewhat concerned 2
3 = concerned 3
4 = very concerned 4

How do I incorporate the "Now" & "Future" columns in there?

I am also having a new problem that I cannot progress past. I have my Dictionary file, but when I go to make a Form out of it, the Forms button on the toolbar is greyed out, & I can't select it. Manually creating a Form through File > New > Data Entry Application works, but then I can't drag & drop anything like you can in the tutorial. The Forms button remains greyed out, & I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I just opened the tutorial files again, & the Forms button is greyed out on all of those, too! Is this a glitch?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

If you had five of these questions, you would add a record and say Max = 5. Then you would add two items, one for now and one for future. Both of these would have Occ=1. Then you can create a two-column/five-row roster by dragging the record to a form.

When you are working with a data entry application, there are three files you can open. One is the dictionary (blue icon of a book), one is the form file (yellow icon of three forms), and one is the whole data entry application (green icon of a computer monitor). Make sure that you open your data entry application.
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

I'm sorry, I still don't know if I'm doing this correctly. I've attached a .ZIP file of what I have so far, & I will try to get a digital copy of the actual survey so you can visualize what I am trying to do.

Also, I have the data entry application open, but the icons are still greyed out. I have attached a screenshot.

In addition, one of my questions gives me an error when I drag it into the form; it says it's not in the dictionary. That's where I created it though, so that doesn't make any sense. You can see it on the right of that screenshot; I can't delete it & it doesn't go away unless I close the file & reopen it.
Attachments
CSProError1.png
CSProError1.png (64.99 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
NMI_Citizen_SurveyDataEntryApp.zip
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Those icons should be grayed out, actually. Those icons are: dictionary [enabled because you can edit your dictionary], forms [disabled because you are currently editing your forms], edits [only for batch application], tables [only for tabulation applications]. You can switch back and forth from your dictionary to forms by clicking on the dictionary icon, and when you're in the dictionary editor, by clicking on the yellow forms icon. (You can also press Ctrl+Tab.)

It looks like your forms got in a bad state. Given that you aren't too far along, you may just consider starting from scratch ... you can use the Ctrl+G to generate forms automatically based on your dictionary.

Make sure you edit your Now/Future record, setting Max=5. Then, when you drag it onto a form, you'll see it as a roster, not as two fields.

(On a different note, post-pandemic, my wife will sometimes travel to Titusville, so perhaps I'll have to swing by North Merritt Island if I ever accompany her on a work trip.)
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

Weird. Just opening my Dictionary file still shows all those icons greyed out, so it's not just when Forms are open. Okay, so the best thing to do is just delete the Forms file I've already made, & try again to generate Forms based on the Dictionary file? How do I know if the Dictionary file is the problem? Also, only one of my questions (CONCERN_LEVELS) has that Now/Future column, so do I still need to set it to Max=5? I'm still working on getting a soft copy of the survey so you can see it, but here's the gist of the questions:

1. How long have you lived here? [Answers take the form of four time ranges respondents can check off]
2. Why do you live here? [Answers take the form of a list of options; multiple ones can be checked]
3. How concerned are you about the following? [Answers take the form of a 1-4 scale for two columns, Now & Future, for 16 specific items]
4. What development should be encouraged/discouraged? [Answers take the form of a binary option for 10 specific items]
5. Do you support/oppose policies for growth on NMI? [Answers take the form of a binary Support/Oppose option for 3 specific items]

It's a short survey, but it's the way the questions are set up that's giving me a headache trying to code it. Thank you again for being so helpful & explaining all of this to me. Hopefully by EOD today or tomorrow I have it all set up so I can start slogging through data entry for these 300+ surveys.

EDIT: Here is the original survey:
cnotes410may2021 3.pdf
(182.19 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
etuser

Post by etuser »

Dear Sir,

here I try to re-arrange it and attached here.
Attachments
NMI_Citizen_SurveyDataEntryApp_new.rar
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

I cannot open this file. :( Could you please send it as a CSPro file in a .ZIP folder? For some reason my VLC Media Player tried to open this, but it didn't play. :?
etuser

Post by etuser »

Please find the zip file.
Attachments
NMI_Citizen_SurveyDataEntryApp.zip
(5.39 KiB) Downloaded 119 times