Unable to update data from the server

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Ali

Unable to update data from the server

Post by Ali »

Dears;
we are using a menu to manage multiple surveys. We're successful to update all the five cspro applications including a menu on the tablet by syncing to the server. However; after updating both staff and frame assignment data and put it on the server, we failed in getting the updated staff and frame assignment data from the server to our tablet. Would you mind helping where the problem is? Is it the path that I need to specify or the folders arrangement in the deployment or ...? we used the staff file as a kind of lookup file.
here is the logic we used:

Code: Select all

if syncconnect(Dropbox) then

// Download staff and the assignments from    
          syncdata(GET, STAFF_DICT);  
          syncdata(GET, UPDATING_FRAME_ASSIGNMENT_DICT);

endif;
aaronw

Re: Unable to update data from the server

Post by aaronw »

The syntax for syncdata looks good. How are you uploading the data to Dropbox? Are you simply uploading the CSDB file via Dropbox? Or are you using Data Viewer to upload the contents of the CSDB file?
Ali

Post by Ali »

thanks; first I deleted the whole folder in the Dropbox and then upload the updated whole folder in the Dropbox.
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

You'll need to use Data Viewer to upload the contents of the CSDB file. You will not be able to download the data via datasync, if you're copying and pasting the CSDB file to Dropbox.
Ali

Post by Ali »

dear aaronw,
Thanks for your valuable advice! But does this work,for example, if we update the data file in such away that by decreasing the cases in the data file compared to the previous one and put it in the server in order to get it in our tablet the one which has less cases?
thanks!
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Yes it is possible. You will:
  • Use CSEntry to download the latest staff and assignment data
  • Delete each case in CSEntry
  • Upload the data to Dropbox
Now when other devices synchronize they will download the deleted cases. However, it is essential that the staff and assignment CSDB files are not recreated. If you recreate them and upload them to Dropbox then the other devices will treat what appears to be identical cases as different and you'll see duplicates when you download them.
Ali

Post by Ali »

Thanks!
But How do I "Delete each case in CSEntry" and what do you mean by "recreate"
thanks
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

In the case listing screen of CSEntry you can delete a case by hard pressing on the case and selecting delete.

What I mean by don't recreate the CSDB file is you should not create a new CSDB file and re-add the data. Instead, take the existing CSDB file and add/delete cases as necessary. If you're using Excel to CSPro you'd select the Modify, add, delete cases under Case management.

If your survey is in the field I would highly recommend testing this out with a simple application, so you understand the behavior.
Ali

Post by Ali »

I think I'm lost. I thought I'll download and deleting the cases using cspro designer in my window. but I see now I'll download and deleting the cases using csentry in the tablet. Here is I want to understand how to download these data and deleting the cases using csentry tablet. is that possible to see the case tree in the tablet for look up and assignment data files? if so how should I do it? and the big problem for me is the case duplication after syncing with the server and got the updated staff data file which is the lookup data file and the assignment data file?
appreciate your help!
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Let's take a step back if you already have duplicates in the lookup files. Can you delete the data on Dropbox and on the devices and start fresh? Or are you in the middle of a survey?