Any way to get a printout of a case, with value labels?

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
uri

Any way to get a printout of a case, with value labels?

Post by uri »

Hi,

I'm using CSPro to develop a client survey to be administered in several social service organizations. The line staff would like to print out a copy of the completed survey, along with value labels (in other words, to be able to see "Male" as opposed to "1") and have it available in the client's file. Is there any way to do this? If not, is there at least a way to get the raw (unlabeled) data out of CSPro for an individually selected case?

Thanks.
khurshid.arshad

Re: Any way to get a printout of a case, with value labels?

Post by khurshid.arshad »

Dear;

Right click on Dicts "Tab" and then right click on dictionary name in left Pane. And Select Dictionary Macros. You will see "copy all Names/labels" and "Copy all Value Sets" options. Just click "Copy all Value Sets" and paste it in Excel sheet.

Regards.

Arshad.
uri

Post by uri »

Thank Arshad. Your suggestion gives me a data dictionary of formats, which is useful, thank you, but I wanted to get the responses for a single completed survey. In other words, for client Joe Blow, I want to be able to display and print out something like:

First name: Joe
Last name: Blow
Likes Regular Source of Care: 1 (A Little)

etc.

Any thoughts? This seems a very fundamental function for a data collection application so I must be missing something, but honestly I don't even see how to program a tabulation to get something like this, since tabulations don't play well with alpha fields, and I have several.

Thanks.
khurshid.arshad

Post by khurshid.arshad »

Dear;

I will use Crystal Report for this purpose. But Gregory Martin will give you the best answer.

Regards.

Arshad
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Are you trying to avoid using another statistics package? Doing what you want would be quite easy if you exported the data to SPSS, Stata, or SAS formats. Otherwise there is no really easy way to do this (despite it seeming like a very easy task). You could write logic to do this, using the getlabel function, but it might be cumbersome unless you're concerned with only a few fields.
uri

Post by uri »

Thanks Gregory. The four sites administering the survey are far flung, and I was hoping to implement something within CSPro such that they could click a button onsite and get a printout of the last completed survey. As the researcher/program evaluator I'm also constrained not to see any client-identifying information, so I'll have to write a batch edit application to strip out names, for example, before they send me the raw data, but of course they would like to see client names on their printouts.

I think the two options here would be to implement this either in CSPro or if possible in a freeware program of some sort. Arshad, thank you so much for reminding of Crystal Reports. It's a great program, but the sites are being run on a shoe string, and I'd like to spare them the cost.

So, two questions: do you know of any open source application that could provide a reporting front end for CSPro, that would be easier than CSPro to program a detail-level report in (without any tabulation or summary functions necessary)? Alternatively, I'll take your suggestion Gregory, and use getlabel to grab labels and formats. But one question about this: Quickly looking through the documentation on the tabulation application, I don't see how to get out a simple detail-level report, especially one with alpha fields (I read somewhere that tabulation doesn't like alpha fields). What would be my general strategy to program CSPro in order to display or print survey data, case by case, in all its gory detail?

Thanks. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.
lls

Post by lls »

You could write a batch application using getlabel to create a HTML file with questions and labels for each cases in your datafile. HTML will allow you to setup presentation with a CSS file (colors, fonts, etc.) and print options. I have used this solution as my client wanted to be able to print out each cases. It took me some time to make the application but it works well.
uri

Post by uri »

Thanks lls! I'm a total newbie, so let me ask a dumb question: I assume you wrote your printout program as a batch edit application, is that right? And then you used "write" functions to write out to what the user guide calls a "write file"?

Thanks!
uri

Post by uri »

Okay, I now see how to use filewrite and getlabel to write out a case in a batch edit application. Is there any way I can also get and write out the CAPI question text?

Thanks.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

One thing, to address the issue of alphas in tabulation. You cannot tabulate alpha variables, but you can run frequencies on them. When you click Run in the Tabulate Frequencies tool, you'll see that a group of files called CSFrqRun are created in the folder where your dictionary is located. If you open CSFrqRun.app you will be able to view the syntax of how to run a frequency within a batch program. This may prove useful to you.