DIctionary - renaming variables

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

DIctionary - renaming variables

Post by AriSilva »

Hi folks,
Which follows is not that important, but I think you should be aware of that.
I´m trying to rename a variable (G03_06_DISCRIMINACAO_HOMOSSEXUAM) in the D_MORADORES record, changing the last M to an L, but the editor says that this new name already exists in the dictionary. As far as I could see, this is not true, I tried to find another similar name (using a plain editor), and there is no other G03_06 variable.
I wonder if this problem is not caused by the very lengthy variable name, since I tried to rename G03_02_DISCRIMINACAO_INCAPACIDAD and got the same error, but renaming G03_03_DISCRIMINACAO_RELIGIAP was successful.
As I said before, this is not a major issue, since I can rename them using a text editor, but I thought you should be aware of that.
Attached the dictionary (it is a dcf file, just changed the extension since I could not attach it using the .dcf extension).
Best
Ari
Attachments
ELSI_10_Entrevista.docx
(457.49 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Best
Ari
aaronw

Re: DIctionary - renaming variables

Post by aaronw »

When I look at your dictionary I see both G03_06_DISCRIMINACAO_HOMOSSEXUAM and G03_06_DISCRIMINACAO_HOMOSSEXUAL, so that looks to be the issue.
variable-names.PNG
variable-names.PNG (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Right, my fault, the second one is a valueset name, it is not a variable, and I thought that the identification of valueset names were independent of the variable names.
Thanks for clarifying the issue.
Best
Ari
josh

Post by josh »

Normally the value set names are differentiated from the variable names since the system adds _VS1 to the end of the value set name. For example if the variable is named ARI then the value set will be named ARI_VS1. However in your case, since the variable name was length 32, which is the limit, there was no space to add the _VS1. In CSPro version 7.2 and up there is no longer a limit to the length of variable names so you won't have this problem once you upgrade.