Discussions about editing and cleaning data
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
etuser

csdb to text

Post by etuser »

Dear All,

Is there any better method on

1. I usually use checkbox to collect a multiple response questions and then flatten the dictionary to export the data afterwards ,Since the CSDB data is not readable by the new flattened Checkbox dictionary, i use save as the CSDB to TEX file and then read the new text file with the new dictionary(flattened) to export the data

2. If i did some length changes on the dictionary in the middle of data collection then , before saving CSDB to TEXT , first i force the csdb files to be red on the new dictionary (NOT on the one that is embedded in it) using "Greg" suggestion in this form by forcing the data viewer to open the data with the new dictionary .
Gregory Martin

Re: csdb to text

Post by Gregory Martin »

1) Depending on how often you're exporting data, you could create a batch application that does the exports. You could use a working storage dictionary to break apart the checkbox fields and then export the working storage items (instead of the original checkbox item). However, this requires some more advanced CSPro programming skills, but if you are frequently running the export, it would be worth looking into.

2) You could write a batch application that uses the newest dictionary, reads in CSPro DB files, and outputs text files.
etuser

Post by etuser »

Thank you Greg,

I use a batch export and I always copy the original dictionary and modify variables to the new export dictionary then using this new dictionary, i develop a batch export program. Here, do i always need to write a blank batch program using the export dictionary , just to input the CSDB and output to text file ? or since the batch export program already use the new export dictionary, no need to output to text ?
etuser

Post by etuser »

i figured out the issues, since the .csdb file can not be read with the new dictionary with the new defined variables , i need to change to text first anyway.

Many thanks for the support.