7.4 Beta: Read encrypted CSDB in external sqlite software

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
htuser

7.4 Beta: Read encrypted CSDB in external sqlite software

Post by htuser »

Dear CSPro Developer team,
I would like to thank you for the incredible effort for releasing in this pandemic period. A special thanks for the relational database support and the new DataViewer.
My First comment is related to the CSDBe. After creating it i'm unable to open it using DB Browser(Sqlite) or SQLiteStudio with AES 256 OFB
SqliteStudio.jpg
SqliteStudio.jpg (127.16 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Please, how to open the CSDBe outside DataViewer?

Thanks in advance for support,
Last edited by htuser on March 30th, 2020, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Gregory Martin

Re: About 7.4 Beta

Post by Gregory Martin »

You can't because we use a different encryption scheme than SQLCipher. The only way you can open it is using a CSPro application (or if you purchase the SQLite Encryption Extension: https://www.sqlite.org/see/doc/release/www/index.wiki).
htuser

Re:7.4 Beta:Read encrypted CSDB in external sqlite software

Post by htuser »

Thank you Greg.
I find an easy workaround to transform an encrypted (Csdbe) version to Csdb using DataViewer and open it with Db browser or SqliteStudio.
But, i would like to know why you prefer using paying encryption rather than open source and free such as: https://github.com/shenghe/FreeSQLiteEn ... master/src

An open source encryption scheme would allow to open it directly on free and open source sqlite files managers. It's important since we'll always need to test sql on schema or data before integrate them in CSPro logic.

Best,
Gregory Martin

Re: 7.4 Beta: Read encrypted CSDB in external sqlite software

Post by Gregory Martin »

There were a few reasons that we went with the paid encryption solution, but to your point, I encourage you to test your queries using an unencrypted .csdb file. You can do all of your testing with such files and then move to .csdbe when you're ready to collect data.

At some point, I'll likely add a SQL query interface into Data Viewer (like exists in Paradata Viewer), so that will help you to construct queries within the CSPro environment.
htuser

Re: 7.4 Beta: Read encrypted CSDB in external sqlite software

Post by htuser »

At some point, I'll likely add a SQL query interface into Data Viewer (like exists in Paradata Viewer), so that will help you to construct queries within the CSPro environment.
Thank you Greg for thinking about. Very very important. I already see the logic helper. I think that this SQL query interface may be combined with the CSPro batch feature. So, we can test not only sql query, but CSPro batch logic on Dataviewer.

Best,