Split current record

What would you like to see in CSPro?
uri

Split current record

Post by uri »

I'm finding -- unfortunately after creating the data dictionary -- that I tend to include too many data items in a record, and that I should probably create more records, each with fewer data items. It would be very useful to be able to scroll to a given data item within a record in the dictionary screen, and then choose to split the record at that point, with all the data items below the current data item being automatically moved to a new record.

Thanks for a great application!
Gregory Martin

Re: Split current record

Post by Gregory Martin »

Do you know that you can cut and paste items from one record to another? Select all the items and cut them (Ctrl+X, or from the Edit menu), and then you can paste them on a new record.

That should ease your task a little.
uri

Post by uri »

Thank you Greg, that's exactly what I want to do. Unfortunately nothing I do seems to be successful in selecting multiple items in either the dictionary or the forms view. I've tried both ways recommended in the User's Guide (mouse and keyboard, page 45), to no avail.

For example, I select a data item within a record in the dictionary view, and it goes reverse video (the white-on-blue highlight bar). I then press and hold the Shift key and start hitting the down cursor. I would expect the blue highlight bar to extend the selection down the rows, but instead it just starts moving down the list of data items, highlighting one row at a time.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tod ("uri")
uri

Post by uri »

Oops, never mind. I was trying to select items from the left-hand as opposed to the right-hand window. I now see how to do it. Thank you!