PFFRunner using relative path

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

PFFRunner using relative path

Post by AriSilva »

I know that this tool is not in your priority list, but I consider it very handy, for several reasons, and I use it a lot.
My concern now is related to the way it stores the pffs and bat files, using absolute paths. This prevents me from moving all the application to a different directory address.
I´m not sure but I think this tool is the only one in the cspro family that does not use relative addressing.
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Re: PFFRunner using relative path

Post by Gregory Martin »

PFF Runner actually accounts for this. If you look at the file, you'll see an entry:

[PathReference]
C:\My Programs\

Then each PFF is indeed saved using an absolute path, but if you move your programs to a different directory, if will try to use the PathReference and the absolute paths to find the new PFFs.

As long as your folder structure remains intact, it should work. If it doesn't, send me your .pffRunner file and the name of the new directory and I'll see why that move doesn't work.
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

I´m sorry, I think that I did not describe exactly the problem.
What I did is the following, for example:
1. My application is is c:\apps\ProjectA
1.1 So, if I create a pffrunner there, the path preference will be pointing to that address
2. I copied the whole directory to c:\apps\ProjectB, using windows copy paste for that
2.1 The pffrunner in the new directory is still pointing to the old directory, so, anything that is executed from this pffrunner will be using the pffs in the old directory, because the path preference was not changed. Suppose I delete one of the pffs in the new directory, by it still exists in the old one? It will execute the pff in the old directory.
3. There is no way to edit the path preference, other than using a text editor.
4. An extra detail: when one of the pffs are not found, the message says "x file(s) not found, but does not state which files are missing, which is difficult to find the missing files.
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Now I understand. With the current setup, you'd have to open the file in a text editor and replace all ProjectA->ProjectB.

When I first designed this tool nearly a decade ago there was a reason I made everything use absolute paths. I don't remember why now, but it made sense at the time (I think) :|.