Searching for variables in the DataViewer

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

Searching for variables in the DataViewer

Post by AriSilva »

Sometimes, specially when you have a very lengthy record, it is difficult to see the contents of a specific variable, for example, when it is located in the end of the record. You have to keep hitting the scroll bar many many times until you reach the variable.
A search by the variable name to position the scroll in the proper position would help a lot.
(I´m not sure how difficult it is, given the dataviewer structure)

On the same subject, I have suggested earlier that it should have a facility to show just the variable names, instead of the variable label, which increase too much the record display.
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Re: Searching for variables in the DataViewer

Post by Gregory Martin »

We may end up redesigning parts of Data Viewer for CSPro 7.4. Do you have other suggestions for the tool?
htuser

Post by htuser »

Waiting Ari's suggestions, i think a better Data Viewer must:

1.- Allow multiple responses to be displayed;
2.- Allow cases to be saved in customized (For example hidden some informations) PDF or HTML (several users request this);
3.- Allow running download, upload data and export PDF/HTML from command line (such as Excel2Cspro);
4.- Define different password level for using Data Viewer, for example, for export data etc. Theses password must be defined in the designer.

Best Regards,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

OK, Christmas is coming, maybe the CsPro team will give us some gifts.

Besides the suggestions that I already made (search facility and options to present just the variable name, and maybe just the codes with no category label to shrink the field width:
1. The actual format is organized by case (questionnaire), where you can see all the variables of a certain case. But suppose you organize it by variable (field), or by record type, instead.
This would provide us with the capability of browsing the file looking just for a certain variable (or a certain record type). It would be similar to looking at paper questionnaires concentrating in a specific part of it.
2. In the same perspective of the search facility, and similar to the frequencies application, where you can filter the cases, the Dataviewer might have a filter facility, to show a case list of cases having a specific pattern, as an invalid value for a variable, or persons having more than a certain age. For example, I have a variable with the questionnaire status (incomplete, finished, etc.) I would need to show the list with only the unfinished ones. Today we can select the cases just by their ids.
3. The same thing with the partial and not partial. Just showing the partials, for example
4. I have a need for my field supervisors to be able to "see" the questionnaires of their interviewers, in order for them to be able to check if the interviewers are doing a good job. But I would not like them to have access to the data itself as in a regular csdb file. So, like the suggestion for a password to protect access, a suggestion for a special type of csdb, that could not be exported to a dat file, nor processed by any batch program, just the dataviewer.
5. An option to not show the group items (or to just show them, minor usage). I have several lengthy group items that are there to facilitate programming, but they are a pain when are being viewed (takes too much space for nothing).

Best
Best
Ari
josh

Post by josh »

Ari - it is already possible to filter to show just partial cases. On the view menu choose "Show partial cases only"
btri Arjun

Post by btri Arjun »

Dear team,

1. It is better to add a "Save" menu to save the data viewer, so that, it need not to open the CSPro each time to view/sync the data.
2. View all data: Now the data viewer only shows the specific case if we click on that case. If add a menu "View all data, attached example:

3. Set a Password is very necessary.

Thank you.

Best
Arjun
Attachments
Example.PNG
Example.PNG (2.34 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

The view all data would be very handy, it would be like how spss shows data, where you can see all the questionnaires. But, in this manner, it would be needed to select a record type to be shown. And maybe a maximum number of questionnaires (say, 1000, "parametrized").
Best
Ari