Linux version of CSPro

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
provogrammer

Linux version of CSPro

Post by provogrammer »

Since CSPro is public domain software, it will be great if it also worked on Linux, Visual C++ is now also ready on Linux, still beta version but perhaps CSPro also able to compile on Linux :)

Best regards,
Gregory Martin

Re: Linux version of CSPro

Post by Gregory Martin »

Getting CSEntry to run on a Linux machine would not be too hard because it already runs on multiple platforms, including Android. The big work would be designing the UI screens, since they would be different from Windows/Android.

If anyone wants to design the UI and has the programming skills, email cspro@lists.census.gov!
josh

Post by josh »

When Greg says "Getting CSEntry to run on a Linux machine wouldn't be too hard" he is talking about just the data entry runtime. Getting the CSPro designer itself to run on Linux natively would be a massive undertaking since all of the user interface code is Windows specific.

Some folks have gotten CSPro to run on Linux using Wine (https://www.winehq.org/) which emulates Windows on Linux.
provogrammer

Post by provogrammer »

My office use CSPro on wine, but there are some problem with it when running on Wine, so we stuck run it on Wine 2.03.
I have reported some bugs on Wine related to CSPro, some of them has heen fixed.

It better to run CSPRo designer natively on Linux by recompiling it on Linux, but redesign CSEntry UI on Linux would be fine too.
I have some programming skills, perhaps I could help developing it under Linux.

Best,
oyierphil

Re: Configuring CSPro on Linux Server

Post by oyierphil »

Hi,
I am trying to configure csweb7.7 on a Linux VM running on LAMP stack (Apache, MySQL, PhP), have downloaded the csweb folder and figuring out how to configure and test the platform, will appreciate any lead or documentation, regards
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Have you seen the helps on setting up CSWeb using Apache:

https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSWeb/a ... setup.html
https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSWeb/a ... setup.html

This documentation is minimal, but if you have a specific question not addressed above, please let us know.

(Next time I encourage you to start a new post as this post you are replying to is from 2019, and about a different issue.)
lestcape

Post by lestcape »

Yes well. One limitation to do that is the CSPro language of the logic. The language should be replacement by a more universal language. One can be for example javascript. Then we will not need to contact the CSPro developers to create our own version of the CSEntry for Linux. Also to create a fork of CSPro. The usage of a custom languages without to have a language specification is a big limitation.

See: viewtopic.php?t=5675