What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
htuser

Excel2CSPro: Multiple Excel spreadsheet dictionary

Post by htuser »

Dear CSPro Developer Team,
Following this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3604, i would like that you put on your
to do list this request. As you know, having possibility to interact with data stored in several format
will strength CSPro. So, we would like not only ability to transform Excel file in CSDB format, but also theses stored in DBMS such
MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL and, why not Oracle? Since you already have this tools: https://github.com/csprousers/SQLServer2CSpro, i imagine it may be less time consuming to implement this tools.

Thanks in advance and best Regards,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Gregory Martin

Re: Excel2CSPro: Multiple Excel spreadsheet dictionary

Post by Gregory Martin »

What exactly are you trying to do? Excel to CSPro will work with data on multiple worksheets. As long as the data is in sorted order, you can combine data on multiple worksheets. The only restriction is that the data for each record must be on one worksheet. That means that you can have a PERSON worksheet, a HOUSING worksheet, etc., and the tool will combine the data from these worksheets into a single CSPro data file.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Hi Greg,
You're correct Excel2CSPro can create CSDB file from multiple Excel spreadsheet by mapping to records. But, before generate the CSDB file, i must generate the data dictionary.
So, what i need is to create a dictionary from data stored in multiple spreadsheet in Excel (imported from multiple MYSQL table). A functionality that is similar to: https://github.com/csprousers/SQLServer2CSpro, SQLServer2Dictionary:
SQLServer2Dictionary: generates a CSPro data dictionary from selected tables in SQL Server database
Tables in the SQL Server database are mapped to records in the CSPro data dictionary.

The systems makes a few assumptions:

Table names in the SQL server database will match record names in the CSPro dictionary
Column names in the SQL server database will match item names in the CSPro dictionary
The items used as id-items in CSPro will correspond to columns appearing in each table in SQL server, with the same name, in order to link together rows in the same case.
So each Excel sheet must be mapped to records in the CSPro Data dictionary.

Please let's me know
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

I will add this on the list of feature requests, though I am not sure how high we will prioritize this. The workaround now is to create separate dictionaries for each worksheet and then, in the CSPro designer, copy each record from each dictionary and paste it into one combined dictionary. I understand, however, that what you are asking for would make this a lot more convenient.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Thank you Greg. The workaround will allow to do the job. But, since you already have related classes in existing tools (such as SQLServer2CSPro), i think
implement a direct way in Excel2CSPro will allow us to economize times.