Tabulation with no valueset

Discussions about tabulating data in the designer or in batch mode
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

Tabulation with no valueset

Post by AriSilva »

We cannot produce a two way tabulation using variables with no valueset, although the Frequency tool (a one dimension table) can do that, using the "each value found".
Would it be possible to accept a no-valueset variable in the rows of a two way tabulation?
I need to tabulate a variable with 7 digits (county in my case), but I have only 300 possibilities.
Using the generate valueset feature in the data dictionary does no solve my problem because it generates fixed ranged values.
Can we have a new generate valueset feature that would generate valuesets according to an external file having the values we need in the valueset?
Or, on the other hand, is there any other possibility to cross this county variable (with 300 possible values) with other valuesetted variables?
As it is now I nee to write a small program to read my input file and generate the valueset commands and then merge them with the dictionary using any text editor.
Best
Ari
Best
Ari
sherrell

Re: Tabulation with no valueset

Post by sherrell »

Ari, you can cut & paste values directly from Excel, Word, a text file, etc. into a dictionary item's value set. If the text is in Excel, the <label> <value> pair need to be in separate columns. If they're in a text or Word doc, they just need to be tab-delimited. Hopefully that'll help you get those 300 values into the dictionary.

Sherrell
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Thank you for your answer.
Your solution of copying directly into the dcf editor does solve the edit part of the equation, instead of doing the cut & paste in a regular text editor, but I still have to generate the list by myself.
By the way, is it written anywhere in the help? (sorry, I did not find it there)
As a suggestion, is it possible to have the "each value found" in the table program (I know it complicates very much the tabulation, even if it would work only for the row variable?
Best
Best
Ari
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

Hi Ari,

>but I still have to generate the list by myself

Sorry, my understanding was that you already had this somewhere in a non-CSPro file.

Savy suggested a workaround: write a batch to extract distinct values and copy and paste it as a valueset. Of course, I'm not sure how meaningful the resulting table(s) will be without labels.

As for a direct mention on cutting & pasting, no, nothing is there. But I will add it later today...consider yourself an insider till the next release! :)

Sherrell