Data Viewer 7.0 Logic helper

Discussions about tools to complement CSPro data processing
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

Data Viewer 7.0 Logic helper

Post by AriSilva »

First of all, congratulations, the new data viewer now is amazingly fast! I used to reformat my big records to look at the most important ones, but this not necessary anymore.
The listing options and the case options are very handy, just what I needed.
But (there is always a but...)
1. I was looking at the records, and then tried the Logic Helper. No problem, and now we have two windows in the window tab (plus the Data summary window). In the windows tab, if I click in the case I was looking into, it is shown, no problem either. But if I return to the case list and click in questionnaire, it is showing always the Logic helper window, I have to return to the Window tab to show the case. And there is no way I can close the Logic Helper window.
2. The list of recent files (I think) is updated only when the program is closed, or even worse, when closing CSPRO, because it does not reflect the last opened files (in my case it shows just one file, which was the first file I opened with data viewer).
3. In the Tools tab to execute a frequency, if the dictionary is very big it takes some time to open the dictionary tree.
4. And finally, something I asked sometime ago, I cannot have a frequency of the record type. It is useful to know how many records of each type is in the database. The record tye variable could be shown in the tree with the Id variables, as in the data dictionary editor. Sorry, I´ll keep reminding you about that.
But (another but), as I said before, these are minor things, I loved this new version.
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Re: Data Viewer 7.0 Logic helper

Post by Gregory Martin »

1) The way I designed it is that if you are viewing something case-related (either the case contents or the Logic Helper), then clicking on a new case will update that view. If you want to close the Logic Helper, click on the X that is part of that window or do Ctrl+F4.

2) This is a good point. I'll modify it to update while the program is still open.

3 + 4) These suggestions are noted. A long-term goal is to move some of the CSFreq functionality into Data Viewer, so we can perhaps address these at that time.
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Thanks, Greg.
More on data viewer:
1. About the loading the variable list taking more time than expected, mainly because of the number of fields in a dictionary, maybe it would improve the speed if you do not load the valuesets, just the record and field names. You are going to need the valuesets only when editing a filter, and only if you click on a variable that has valuesets (I don´t know if you already use this technique, but it saves time, and you can mark the variables that were already loaded, in order not to try to load the valuesets again).
2. In the frequency, when a variable has more than one valueset, they are shown in the list with the same name, and you do not know which is which, unless you remember their positioning in the list of valuesets of the variable.
3. I do not know if this is the standard windows procedure, but today I started the dataviewer and it "seemed" not to start. I tried again, the same. Then I looked at the task bar and they were there, minimized (maybe I had it minimized when I last used it, and closed it by clicking in the x without maximizing it). My point is, dataviewer is starting using the last windows state, that is SOP, but for the normal user or dumb user (my case), it should start in "normal" windows. CsPro itself does not start minimized, nor the other tools I tried.
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Ari,

I just implemented #3 (don't restore to a minimized state) for CSPro 7.5.

However, when testing the previous #2 (the recent files list), I can't recreate what you're seeing. As soon as I open a file, it shows in that list. If you still think this is an error, can you explain exactly what you're doing?
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Hi Greg,
#2. My misunderstanding. When I was testing #2 to show it to you, I just realized that this is not really a problem of DataViewer, but it is caused by the implementation of valuelabels in the dictionary. When you have more than one, the labels are the same, but the names are created different (VS1, VS2, etc.).
So, #2 happens when you show the labels in the tree (which, in my case, was the default, as it was installed). See figure.
When you change the view with Ctrl-T, if shows the names, and then, they are different, of course.
Maybe, at dictionary time, in order to avoid this type of misunderstanding, when creating a new valueset, or even when copying a variable to the dictionary with a duplicate name, besides increasing the last number in the valueset (or changing the last letter of the variable name), you could also do that for the labels (or this have other consequences that I did not think about).
And as I told you before, this dataviewer version is much much better now.
Attachments
labelsInTree.JPG
labelsInTree.JPG (25.35 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
Best
Ari