dataviewer takes forever to show the dictionary

Discussions about tools to complement CSPro data processing
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

dataviewer takes forever to show the dictionary

Post by AriSilva »

Hi folks,
When opening the dataviewer, then choosing Tools and Tabulate Frecuencies, when the dictionary is a little bit lengthy it takes forever to open it and show it on the screen.
The problem is that it is happenning ONLY on my specific machine, not on other machines using the same cspro version (7.7), same dcf, .csdb
Is it related with the fact that I have also cspro 7.6 installed (it shouldn´t)?
Is it related with having other software installed using some libraries (.dll) that cspro uses? I know that it is a difficult question, since youo do not know what I have installed, but I can send you my system path.
Should I "increase" some constant parameter that is too small? I´m out of ideas.
Best
Ari
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Re: dataviewer takes forever to show the dictionary

Post by Gregory Martin »

Open the dictionary in the Designer, right-click on the dictionary in the tree, and select Open With -> Tabulate Frequencies. That's essentially the same as opening the dictionary via Data Viewer. Does it take a long time to open with this approach?

I don't really have any idea about why it would take so long. Perhaps disable your virus scanner for a few minutes and see if it's still slow. If so, I have no idea.
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Hi Greg,
I did as you said: opening in Designer, Open with -> Tab freq. Same thing, takes forever.
I´m using the Malware anti-virus. I disconnected it, tried again, same thing.
Thanks anyway.
Best
Ari
Best
Ari
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Hi Greg,
I finally found the guilty guy on this matter: it is an application from LG monitoes named "OnScreen Control".
This app lets you subdivide your monitor in several ways, and it is a big help when using a 29" monitor.
I really do not know hot it interferes with the csprodictionary reading, but it does.
For testing, even if you do not have a LG monitor, maybe you can download and intall it to see what is happening when you have a very big dcf.
Best
Ari
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

I'm glad that you found the culprit. Reading about it, it seems like a lot of people have issues with the software!

https://www.reddit.com/r/macmini/commen ... ggish_and/

"It is the worst program I've used on Windows. I can't even start explaining the frustrations. It it's horrible!"
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Thanks for the note.
I had already installed the latest version of the Onscreen control, but it did not work.
The worst of all is that, once started, it cannot be closed, so, the alternative is uninstall it!
Best
Ari
Best
Ari