transmission with huge number of devices

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Mariovaisman

transmission with huge number of devices

Post by Mariovaisman »

Hello,
Am planning the transmission process for a data collection where there are more than 25000 equipments tranmitting to the central office. The initial idea was to use 5 csweb servers where 5000 equipments for each server, and at the end the central offic app receives from all those servers the same database with partial number of cases in each.

My idea is to use those servers in dynamically mode, means that the field app has to select the server randomly and then try to connect, in case it is unsuccesfull, then wait a dynamic number of seconds (1 to 10), then select again one server to do the transmission. My question is if the device transmitted to one server, next day selects a different server and transmit, what happen with the cases, the second server receives also the cases transmited to the first server the day before?, in cse no, GREAT, otherwise I have an additional idea to add an initial char in the key like 0, not transmitted, 1 transmitted, and then do a selecton of only not transmitted cases to be transmitted during the connection, then at the end of the transmission, replace all not transmitted by transmitted.

Second question, is it possible to receive in central office the cases from different servers from same database name?.

Thanks

Mario
savy

Re: transmission with huge number of devices

Post by savy »

Hi Mario,

I would suggest using a single server to sync. While 25000 devices seems like a lot, it's not that all the devices will be syncing at the same time.
Normally for stress tests, we test out to see if the server can handle about 10 requests / second (this would translate to about 36,000 requests per hour) which should support your case as well. If you are still having problems you can have have different groups (like say 5000 in five groups spread over five hour period) sync at different times to spread out the syncs.
Multiple instances of CSWeb can point to the same DB, but there is not much value in doing this.