Look Up files

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
MuleFena

Look Up files

Post by MuleFena »

Dear CSPro Users,

Currently, I am designing a CAPI data collection on CSPro 7.5. I created a lookup dictionary files and this works well on my laptop. I am using a Dropbox as server for synchronization. The application works fine without the look up files when downloaded to tablets. But doesn't work with the lookup files when downloaded to tablets though it is working well on laptop.

Kindly looking for support and guidance on this
MuleFena

Re: Look Up files

Post by MuleFena »

@Gregory Martin,

Kindly looking for your support on the problem posted
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Based on your description:
  • Application on laptop works without the lookup file
  • Application on tablets don't work without the lookup file
it's likely that the look up file does not exist (or is empty) on the tablet. Open the look up file and inspect the contents of the laptop and the tablet. Is one empty? Is it possible the synchronization logic is not working on either? Maybe the look up file already exists on the laptop, because that's where it was created during app development?
MuleFena

Post by MuleFena »

Hi aaronw,

Thank you for your response:

Here is the exact description.

1. The application works well on the laptop with the lookup file. But,
2. when I added the application to tablet from drop box, the application refused to work the same way on laptop; the look up table doesn't come and pops up the following error message;
Error(88889)
WARNING: Out of range! Please enter a valid value for the Zone.

Below your response:

"it's likely that the look up file does not exist (or is empty) on the tablet. make sense.

Open the look up file and inspect the contents of the laptop and the tablet. Is one empty? Is it possible the synchronization logic is not working on either? Synchronization has no problem from my observation

Maybe the look up file already exists on the laptop, because that's where it was created during app development? Correct, it has been on laptop where it was created, but how I can bring everything to drop box and get it to multiple tablets?

I attached the screenshot, that it works on laptop

Thanks again and looking to hear from you more,

Mulugeta
Attachments
lookup on laptop.JPG
lookup on laptop.JPG (22.72 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
josh

Post by josh »

Does your program sync the lookup file? If you just set up syncrhonization from the options menu it only syncs the main data file. It does not sync the lookup file.

There are two ways people do that:

1) Include it in the deployment package when uploading the application to Dropbox using the deploy applications tool.

2) Use the syncdata function to download it to the tablet when the interviewer syncs the application.

If the lookup is created once and doesn't get updated then option 1 is sufficient. If you are changing the lookup during the survey and want the users to get the latest version then you should also do option 2.

If you are already syncing the lookup then look at the sync.log file in the csentry directory on your tablet to make sure that it is getting downloaded correctly.
MuleFena

Post by MuleFena »

Hi Josh,

Thank you so much and your observation and guidance is fine. I was using the first option and still has the same problem. My application uses the attached data files while running on laptop.

but when I deploy I was including the dictionary files for the lookup which still didn't work on tablet.

Thanks

Mulugeta
Attachments
mchn data file.JPG
mchn data file.JPG (59.69 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
josh

Post by josh »

You need to deploy the DATA files, not the dictionary files. The dictionary files are not needed. Add the csdb files to your deployment package.

Take a look at the deployment for the Labor Force Survey in the CSPro examples directory (DeployPopstanLFS.csds). It includes two lookup files (sample.csdb and staff.csdb) in the deployment.
MuleFena

Post by MuleFena »

Many Thanks Josh,

It is now working. I am really happy that you guys are around for support.

Thanks again,

Mulugeta