Error: unable to read response from server. See log file for details

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Eohmer

Error: unable to read response from server. See log file for details

Post by Eohmer »

Hello. I'm trying to download my data from a ftp server. It connects and all, but then the error message in the image appears. it creates an empty csdb file.
Yesterday, I downloaded the data without a problem (10/26/2020) but today it isn't working.

I've checked that the server is up and running without problems, and it is.
The questionnaire is one of the longest we've ever done, i don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.

First, any ideas on what could be happening?
Second, where can I find this "log file"?

Thank you.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (20.85 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
aaronw

Re: Error: unable to read response from server. See log file for details

Post by aaronw »

Length shouldn't be the problem. Can you attach the sync log and I will take a look? Depending on OS the log is saved in different places:
  • Android: csentry\sync.log
  • Windows: Users\username\AppData\Roaming\CSPro\sync.log
Eohmer

Post by Eohmer »

aaronw wrote: October 28th, 2020, 10:42 am Length shouldn't be the problem. Can you attach the sync log and I will take a look? Depending on OS the log is saved in different places:
  • Android: csentry\sync.log
  • Windows: Users\username\AppData\Roaming\CSPro\sync.log
Hi. I attached the log.
I tried to download the data again so you could see it right at the bottom of the log.

Thank you.
Attachments
sync.log
(135.71 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Eohmer

Post by Eohmer »

I found this post from 2018

viewtopic.php?t=2637

Its basicly the same error but on Dropbox. The problem was parcially saved cases and the solution was to delete or complete that case.

I made a GET function do download all the data to my phone and it worked just fine. There are several partially saved cases. I managed to put the data in my computer and extrated to SPSS, and it gave me no problems.
For the moment, that'll be my solution. I'll try to get my hold on those partially saved cases in the interviwers tablets and delete them to make the direct download to my computer work.
josh

Post by josh »

I don't think partially saved cases are the problem. It looks like you are using CSPro 7.4 to download data that was uploaded using CSPro 7.5. Probably one or more of the devices in the field was upgraded to CSpro 7.5. The data format used to store the data on Dropbox and FTP servers changed in version 7.5. If you upgrade to 7.5 on the PC you will be able to download the data.
mapule

Post by mapule »

I also have just experienced this error when downloading or synchronising data from Dropbox server through dataviewer: unable to read response from server. See log file for details. Please help. I have attached sync log file
Attachments
sync.log
(476.44 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

This post was also submitted to cspro@lists.census.gov where it was handled. Several data files had become corrupted on their server which was preventing the synchronization from working properly.