Synchronization using FTP

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
leahcim19

Synchronization using FTP

Post by leahcim19 »

Hi Josh,

I'm just new in using CSPro in tablet and I would like to ask where do I put the .pnc when I use the FTP in sending data. I'm using filezilla and I'm testing the FTP function if I can use this also.

Thanks,
Michael
josh

Re: Synchronization using FTP

Post by josh »

We are dropping support for PNC files. They still work in CSPro 7.1 but they will no longer work in version 7.2. You should switch to either using the basic synchronization available from the synchronization options dialog or use the sync logic functions (syncconnect, syncdata...).

The basic synchronization is much simpler than using PNC files. All you need to do is enter the URL of the FTP server in the synchronization options dialog. See "synchronization options" in the help: http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/sy ... imple.html.

The sync logic functions are far more powerful than PNC files but they require using a menu program which takes some CSPro expertise so it is best to stick with the synchronization options to start.
leahcim19

Post by leahcim19 »

Hi Josh,

Theres an error pop-up when i try to synchronize using ftp.
"Error connecting to server:java.net,SocketTimeoutException:"
May I ask if what is the meaning of this?

Thanks,
Michael
josh

Post by josh »

It is a network error. Either the URL is incorrect, your device is not connected to the network, your device is not able to connect to your server or your server is not properly configured.
leahcim19

Post by leahcim19 »

Hi Josh,

This is my first time using filezilla as my ftp server and I would like to ask if you can help me to configure my filezilla as my ftp server?

Thanks,
michael
josh

Post by josh »

I'm happy to help with CSPro but Filezilla is a bit out of my expertise. There are lots of tutorials and documentation online as well as user forums for Filezilla (https://forum.filezilla-project.org/vie ... ac5c80869e).

Alternatively consider using Dropbox for synchronization instead of Filezilla since that doesn't require any setup.
nana

Post by nana »

leahcim19 wrote:Hi Josh,

Theres an error pop-up when i try to synchronize using ftp.
"Error connecting to server:java.net,SocketTimeoutException:"
May I ask if what is the meaning of this?

Thanks,
Michael

Hello,

I'm also getting the same error "Error connecting to server:java.net,SocketTimeoutException:" when syncing to an ftp server using a tablet but the desktop version syncs just fine so i don't think its a network problem.
Please assist ....
josh

Post by josh »

Please post the sync.log file from the tablet. You can find it in the CSEntry directory.

Are you connecting the server over LAN or WAN from the tablet? If over WAN are you using a public hostname or ip?
nana

Post by nana »

sync[1].log
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
josh

Post by josh »

I'm able to connect to your server from Android. I can't login without the username/password but I am not getting the timeout error that you are. This makes me think there is an issue with the connection from your Android device to the internet.