username and passwords

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
AriSilva

username and passwords

Post by AriSilva »

We are using a single server for all the surveys we are doing so far.
We have a common user/psw for all the interviewers of a specific survey. That is, all the interviewers assigned to survey_A use username_A/psw_A, the ones assigned to survey_B use username_B/psw_B, etc

The problem is, by doing that, all the interviewers can "see" (and download/upload) all the surveys, no matter which survey they are assigned to.

Is there a way to connect a specific user/psw combination to a specific application (or a group of applications)?
Maybe we should have to create different servers, one for each survey (or group of surveys)? It is a little more difficult to handle, but...
Best
Ari
josh

Re: username and passwords

Post by josh »

Restricting certain users to only certain data files and even cases i.e. by case-id is on our todo list for CSWeb. For now you would have to use separate CSWeb installs for each survey. It is possible to put multiple CSWeb installs on the same physical server by putting multiple copies in different directories i.e. install one at www/survey1/csweb and another at www/survey2/csweb... They can all share the same database.
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Yeah, I understand that, but I do not have much knowledge (if any) in those matters.
How can I set up two or three different cswebs and they share the same database?
Best
Ari
josh

Post by josh »

On the server filesystem make 3 copies of csweb then run the configure script on each one. You can then point them all to the same database server. To avoid name conflicts you may want to create separate schemas in the database for each csweb instance.