Dropbox Share : How Secure the Data

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
yanina

Dropbox Share : How Secure the Data

Post by yanina »

Hi CSPro Team

This the continuation of the topic I asked on thread "Dropbox with Multiple Enumerator".

Now, my question regarding the security of data that synchronized and shared among enumerators on Dropbox.

1. Is it possible for the enumerator to sync without input username and password of Dropbox account ?
2. As my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, enumerators must have Dropbox App installed on their smartphone/tablet, and log in with Shared Dropbox Account ?

I concern about security of data on Dropbox. As the enumerators have full access on it, they able to do anything. Copy, change, even delete ?

Please advice. Thank you very much.

Yanin
josh

Re: Dropbox Share : How Secure the Data

Post by josh »

Yes, the enumerator will need to enter the username and password for the Dropbox sync. Once the user has entered it, we save the login until you exit CSEntry.

You do not need to have the Dropbox app installed on the device to use Dropbox sync. The Dropbox account does not have to be shared. Each enumerator can have a separate account. You may still want to have them all sync to a folder that is shared among all accounts in order to make it easier to concatenate the files afterwards but this is not required.

In terms of security, in standard Dropbox there is no way to restrict access to users from copying/modifying/deleting. I believe that if you upgrade to the paid version of Dropbox it is possible to do this but I have not used it.

If you are concerned about security you could look at using FTP which gives you more control over user permissions. It also allows to store the username/password in the PNC file so that enumerator never sees it. The downside is that you have to set up the server.
yanina

Re: Dropbox Share : How Secure the Data

Post by yanina »

Hi Josh

Billions Thanks.
Yes I think FTP is the best solution in terms of security. I will learn how to do this via FTP.

You are and all CSPro team are the best.

Yanin