Adding/Modifying Items' Values after Data Entry Has Begun

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
bernices

Adding/Modifying Items' Values after Data Entry Has Begun

Post by bernices »

I realized that I excluded a few possibilities from values I listed for certain items, but encoders have already begun data entry. How do I modify the dictionary and pass this on to encoders so that they can use the updated dictionary without affecting anything else they've already entered?
kakinyim

Re: Adding/Modifying Items' Values after Data Entry Has Begu

Post by kakinyim »

Bernices: by modifying (swapping?) item values can be tricky. Am assuming you had a value like 2 and you want to change to 3, etc. Here, you will have to backup your data and make the changes. Before you merge/release the backed up data, you will have to reformat the data so that old and new item values are similar.

If on the other hand you only need to add item values, just go ahead but you also need to go to your logic file to modify the SKIP (or validation) rules to accept the new item values.

Mutua

Post by Guest »

if you gave values ​​to variables and loaded so you can change in the dictionary and the value will be like what is in the dictionary.
If you add new variables to the dictionary for data loading and data you loaded and it is preferable that these variables the upload at the end of the dictionary so you will not have problems with the files.
I hope you serve ..
Best Regards
Maria.
Maria

Post by Maria »

if you gave values ​​to variables and loaded so you can change in the dictionary and the value will be like what is in the dictionary.
If you add new variables to the dictionary for data loading and data you loaded and it is preferable that these variables the upload at the end of the dictionary so you will not have problems with the files.
I hope you serve ..
Best Regards
Maria.
MAria

Post by MAria »

you just want to change the settings in the file do it on a bach program and give the value back to the base that already by the previous application.
Then follows the output file with the new values ​​..
example
PROC A_variable
if A_variable = 3 then
A_variable = 2;
endif;
The dictionary should have the 2 values
kakinyim

Post by kakinyim »

bernices wrote:I realized that I excluded a few possibilities from values I listed for certain items, but encoders have already begun data entry. How do I modify the dictionary and pass this on to encoders so that they can use the updated dictionary without affecting anything else they've already entered?
You need to click the variable you need to change item list. Variables (questions) are on the left panel, the click on the right of the variable and just add value/s. Check on the CSPro documentation on how to do this.

See the attached picture.
Attachments
DCFScreen.jpg
DCFScreen.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
bernices

Post by bernices »

kakinyim wrote:Bernices: by modifying (swapping?) item values can be tricky. Am assuming you had a value like 2 and you want to change to 3, etc. Here, you will have to backup your data and make the changes. Before you merge/release the backed up data, you will have to reformat the data so that old and new item values are similar.

If on the other hand you only need to add item values, just go ahead but you also need to go to your logic file to modify the SKIP (or validation) rules to accept the new item values.

Mutua
Hi Mutua,

My situation is the second one you describe. I had 3 original values -- higher, lower, don't know -- but realized I need to add "same" and "not applicable". So if it's just that, do I simply add these under the existing variable? Afterwards, how do I give this updated dictionary to my encoders so that they can edit the cases where they had to leave the answers to this item blank (since the right answer was out of range / not available)?

Bernice
bernices

Post by bernices »

Hi Maria,

My situation is different from what you described, but I will take note of the tips you have provided for future use. I do appreciate the help, thank you.

Bernice
lls

Post by lls »

bernices,

Adding a new item in a record may be tricky as it would change the position data are recorded in the data file.

If, as mutua suggest, you only need to add a value in a value set, there will be no consistency problems.
You will have to modify the dictionary and transmit the updated application to you keyer for them to correct the value entered in the corresponding field.

Or, if you want to modify all incorrect values (say 2) to the new value (say 3), you can create a batch edit file that will automatically change old values for the new value in all cases (gain of time).

I hope this helps.

PS. remember to backup data files and dictionary before doing any manipulation.