CAPI SC can't clear errmsg() box with ESC key (Bug?)

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
GVLORICA

CAPI SC can't clear errmsg() box with ESC key (Bug?)

Post by GVLORICA »

Hi,

I am developing CAPI (System Controlled) application and I found out that there is a difference in the behavior of CsPro regarding closing/clearing system generated pop up message box (e.g., WARNING: Out of range ...) and errmsg() function (e.g., "You cannot mix entered value with ...). The former can be cleared with ESC key while the latter is not. The errmsg() function message box can be cleared only by clicking the "OK" button and since the button doesn't have the focus, you cannot clear it with ENTER key. Is it a BUG? or is it design related difference. You might think that this is trivial, but since CAPI is supposedly used while interviewing the respondent using one hand to hold the laptop/netbook and the other to type the data, it is much easier to press just one key to clear the message rather than using the touch pad. Plus of course there will be uniformity in the instruction to the interviewer.

A workaround for this is to use accept() function but that is not a good idea for an application with three (3) languages. Hope you can help me on this.
GVLORICA

Re: CAPI SC can't clear errmsg() box with ESC key (Bug?)

Post by GVLORICA »

By the way, another workaround is to add the command
set errmsg(operator)
to make errmsg() command behave as if in operator controlled CAPI where you have to press F8 (or you can set it) to clear it. This works but I find system controlled pop up message box as more intuitive.

Post by Guest »

Here's a workaround. If you use the "UP" arrow key the focus is on the OK button and then
you can press the enter key to dismiss the dialog. The behavior is by design so as to make the keyer pay attention to
the error message.You can use this workaround irrespective of errmsg or the system generate message.
GVLORICA

Post by GVLORICA »

Thanks, more complete description of the work around is to press any arrow key, i.e., UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT. I still hope that someday the behavior of system(out-of-range) and errmsg() generated messages would be the same, that is, do not allow ESC key to clear out-of-range system generated message or allow ESC key to clear errmsg() generated message. This will save a lot of programming codes because there is no need for the programmer to programmatically trap out-of-range error just to make the behavior the same. It is just a wish :-).